Gateway drum..3 out of 5 stars

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Sold my Evie Maes trailer at the end of last year. Recently bought a 55 gallon Gateway drum to see what the hoopla was about and if they are really as good people rave. I have not done a brisket yet, but plenty of ribs, chicken, steaks and burgers.

Conclusion.....so far, this thing kicks ass and probably one of the most under rated cookers there is. In hindsight, I wonder why on earth anyone would buy a kamado or a pellet grill over a drum is beyond me. It will do anything a kamado can do, it's lighter, it grills better, wont shatter or break, it's mobile, it has more rack space and it can hold a temp well enough to at least close your eyes for awhile or mow the lawn, etc.....for hundreds of dollars less. I think it grills better than a Kettle. It's for sure a reverse sear steak and burger champion in my book. All my steaks and burger have had a pretty consistent level of pink throughout. Kettle was always hit and miss.

It will flat out whip any pellet grill hands down, and with a weed burner I can have it up to 275/300 and ready to go in 10 minutes flat. The "I don't have time to fire up a charcoal grill or offset so I bought a pellet grill" excuse is totally out the window. You have to be lazy as hell to pick a pellet grill over a drum. Your results wont be anywhere near as good, and your pellet grill still not as versatile.

Cons: Limited rack space if you want to do large cooks, and smoke profile a tad on the heavy side on poultry. I have not noticed it on ribs.

For backyard family cooker, I don't think a drum can be beat. Id be really hesitant to even buy another backyard offset over a drum. I still have not done brisket so it only gets 3 stars right now. It will get another star if brisket results are good or at least good enough. I image it will be tricky to keep the bottom from drying out, but we'll see. Some of my best ribs and steaks have been coming off the Gateway I think. No need to remove the membrane on ribs, the bottom heat will cook it off and you wont even notice it.

I only did one SCA event, but If I did more, Id for sure buy a 30 gallon drum for it.

Last edited:
Different strokes.....I had a drum. It was messy and produced a higher smoke profile then what we want. I have a handful of different cookers and the drum was my least favorite. After I gave it away to a buddy that was interested in smoking I bought a MAK 2 ⭐️. Hands down puts out better food than the drum did. I work 50 hours a week and have a 4 year old so the convenience can't be matched. Glad you like your drum, but don't assume people get pellets because they don't have time to start charcoal. I do 90% of my grilling on a Weber 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have built a few UDS and agree with the ease of use and excellent food they produce. I really like the slightly heavier smoke as well. The thing I do not like is the fact they are a pain to clean. I like to keep my smokers clean inside and out, but cleaning the bottom of a drum requires a lot of work, sometimes even requiring a pressure washer to really clean it. Due to that I seldom fire one up anymore.

I have never cooked on a drum, but your post really makes me want to try one.

I have a 16 gallon, a 30 gallon and a 55 gallon - I guess I like drums too. As far as limited space goes, it's all relative to what and how much you need to cook. I can put 2 racks on all of my drums- but it's easier to go a size up until I hit the 55 gallon if I need more space. And it too can use 2 racks- but I hate like hell to do it.
Let us know how your brisket cook goes - my uds does put a bit more heat on the brisket bottom than I'd prefer- but short of running a water pan on a lower grate, I don't know how to get past that.

Love cooking on drums. I have a BPS kit I put together probably 6 or 7 years ago. I also have an OKJ Bronco that is great for smaller cooks like a rack of ribs or a pork but. If I cook brisket in the drum I run a water pan or diffuser reduce the direct heat.

I’m loving my Hunsaker drum. Always looking for an excuse to fire it up? How do you grill on it? I’ve contemplating putting the charcoal basket on the lowest shelf and a rack over it for grilling searing but I just fire up my kamado for that. I still feel kamados have their place but my drum does add a whole new dimension to my backyard cooking...

+1 on the gateway. I have one too and cannot understand why anyone wouldn’t like it. That said, bbq is all about preferences and what I like differs from what you might like. Here are a few pics of a 5 hour pork butt I did recently. 5 HOURS! Cooking hot and fast rocks.

d208c12b7057b361eeffe4400ca71161.jpg
5368febe9bf0638f5e09e27d99e92fde.jpg
5018822f9e1c13eba98c95da969bdb63.jpg
eef175ef2ac03f17d203c237913966e9.jpg
2db11ce7a1590b0a5ae0a756f09f74a4.jpg

I sold my UDS after buying a Shirley. I liked the drum a lot but like others said it was a pain in the butt to clean and besides I really took a liking to burning sticks. If I could ever find a stainless 55 gallon drum for a reasonable price (Holy moly are stainless drums expensive) I would build another UDS. It was a fun cooker and produced some great Q.

I’ve never had food off one, but lots of folks seem to like it. I’d like to give it a whirl sometime. 70% of my cooking is grilling/reverse searing though...do many people use a gateway for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After trying a lot of different smokers, I've settled in with 2 PBC drum smokers (18" for the house, 14" for tailgating), and an offset (Jambo Backyard).

I tried a Hunsaker, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I sold it. I would love to try a Gateway some day, but I don't need the 55 gallon model. If I'm cooking for a gathering that requires that much space, I'll always use my Jambo.

I too am curious about how you grill/sear using the gateway... would you please elaborate?

Super happy to hear that you are enjoying your drum! They are definitely proven cookers. Sure wish you didn’t have the mindset that all that love and enjoy pellets are lazy people. Some of the hardest working guys I know burn pellets. Sometimes convenience allows a person to get other “work” done... or better yet, spend time with those they love with zero interruption. To top that, some of us nuts even enjoy the flavor profile of pellets to charcoal. I know I more often than not do.

To each their own buddy :)

I’m loving my Hunsaker drum. Always looking for an excuse to fire it up? How do you grill on it? I’ve contemplating putting the charcoal basket on the lowest shelf and a rack over it for grilling searing but I just fire up my kamado for that. I still feel kamados have their place but my drum does add a whole new dimension to my backyard cooking...

I put grilled stuff on the top rack with the lid on at 300* and cook till I get an internal meat temp I want. Then drop it on the bottom rack above the basket to get some char with lid off. If the fire basket starts to get out of control I put the lid on. A super long set of tongs is required or you're going to burn you hand flipping and messing with the food while on the bottom rack.

I have considered putting the basket on the bottom rack, but was worried about running the risk of burning the paint off the lid.

I too am curious about how you grill/sear using the gateway... would you please elaborate?

Put food on top rack at cook at 300* till meat has an internal temp of what you want...steaks..125, 135 or whatever. When you reach that temp take the food off and put the rack on the bottom level and throw meat on to get a sear above the coals. Basket will start raging, so just put the lid on to calm it down. After a few seconds remove lid, flip, rotate food, put lid back on, etc. You are going to need a really long set of tongs and move fast....its hot!

Hunsaker is the best drum I've ever owned. Period. The removable baffle gives you a choice of raw, over the coals dripping flavor or clean subtle flavor with the baffle on. The 5 position adjustable rack, the hinged lid, the oversized tires, stainless grates...list goes on.

And what Jeremy said^^^. I love my Yoder YS640 dearly. Don't sleep on pellet grills. Still can't wrap the "can't get enough smoke flavor from a pellet grill" around my head. :noidea:

I would rather have a Gateway than an egg and when I explain people how good a drum is, I compare to an egg that isn't made of porcelain.

Make sure you cook your brisket fat down to keep it from drying out. In my UDS, I flipped it, and wrapped it.

I had two Gateway drums. Sold them both. Still have my MAK and Weber Kettle. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back