Am I the only one...

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Am I the only one that watches Dinners, Drive-in’s, and Dives and wants to open a small joint?

I know nothing about the restaurant business other than it has to be long hours and hard work, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting to open one.

Sounds like your romancing the store!
If you love 12 - 16 hr work days, marginal profits for some undefined period, snotty nosed, entitled little snowflake employees.
How about finding the kind of place your dreaming about and work there for a year and see if it's a fit for you .
Ed

Am I the only one that watches Dinners, Drive-in’s, and Dives and wants to open a small joint?

I know nothing about the restaurant business other than it has to be long hours and hard work, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting to open one.

I prefer to play chef for my extended family occasionally. Much shorter hours, less stress, more fun and I get to pick when to work and when to say "nah".

The best part is that even if I screw something up they still love me and thank me as they leave.

I worked in an upper scale restaurant years back so I have an idea of what it takes. Would still like to open a bbq joint. The wife used to do cakes and desserts. Would have to make sure to get a liquor license to bolster profits

When I was a teen I was a breakfast cook at a local Big Boy restaurant in Dallas. During that 3 year interval I cooked so many eggs that I couldn't stand the sight of them for years (not so with pancakes, hoewever). Before I moved further on in college my boss asked me to stay on as a manager. Seeing him working 15 hour days most days of the week, I told him 'No, thanks'. I went into medicine instead thinking 'I don't want to work that hard - Hah!'

Most restaurants as small businesses have less than a one-year shelf life. If it what you want to do I might suggest you ease into it. Find a small environment - like a cooking trailer - and open part-time. It is hard work but , who knows, you might be the next McDonalds. Good luck.

Around 60 percent of new restaurants fail within the first year. And nearly 80 percent shutter before their fifth anniversary.

This is not conjecture, this is a well acknowledged fact, per multiple studies and agencies.

Me too!

I enjoy watching DD&D! It always has at least one or two dishes an episode that makes me wish I was there, doing it. My repertoire of recipes would give me a slim chance in a food truck. My half track brain couldnt keep up with all that.

I enjoy cooking/BBQ too much to turn it into a job.

I made that mistake with photography. I took what was a hobby I loved and turned it into a business. Paid my bills with a camera for several years and now I hardly pick it up. Wish I would have kept it a hobby. Not a mistake I'll make again.

I did the same thing with wine - selling it instead of just enjoying it. I found my pleasures are best left as that, unless you have a truly burning desire to be in the business.

I almost opened a Pizza place when I was in my 20's. Would have if I could have come up with the money.

I worked in one so I knew what was involved. Did that kind of work for nearly 15 years.

About 10 years ago I came close to starting a "food truck" (I would have had a trailer) serving BBQ ... I'm actually glad it didn't work out!

The trailer would have cost about $75,000 and the place I had to park is no longer available.

These days - no desire at all!

I have been slowly planning on opening a small cafe/bakery that only serves breakfast and lunch, mostly donuts, cupcakes, cakes, and daily lunch specials. I live in a business district and my house is zoned for both business and residential, so we are trying to save up to convert the front of the house to basicly a small walk up concession stand if you will.

One of my best friends owns a restaurant. I've seen some of the things he goes through with employees, ABC and the health inspectors. No thank you.

And Guy grates my nerves. Apparently the code phrase for a place that's decent is "flavor town".

Last edited:

I wonder if there is a Resturant/event space In your area that you could use as a pop up resturant so you can scratch this itch for a few days and then move on with your life.

I never knew these spaces existed until I saw someone do a one day pop up Resturant in NYC on a food network show. I just looked in NYC and a pop up Resturant/Event spaces cost anywhere from $450 a day to $2500 a day for a turn key Pop up Resturant. License and insurance would add some more to the cost.

I just did a little research online and saw that some people rent the place on a set schedule so your customers know that the second Tuesday every month is “4ever3 BBQ night”

I know we had a member who is a dentist who set up a bbq stand at a weekly farmers market in my area for a few years. Maybe that would scratch your itch.

I’m the chief cook and bottle washer for lunchtime bbq events of between 50 to 100 people about 6 times a year and will tell you those days are exhausting.

Last edited:
I too have watched many seasons of Triple "D", and came away with some ideas for some cooks. Enjoy it as it only shows the "good" times of the biz.
Worked in several places over the years and had a Concession Trailer for a while before 09 crash closed us down. Yes, the cooking is the enjoyment, everything else, not so much. I understand the desire because sometimes I get the "itch", but the financials are not in my favor, and as much as I enjoyed seeing people enjoy my product, the rest of it just does not balance out.
But I have seen those who have made a good go of it and know that with the right backing and dedication,and some good luck, it can be a good business venture.

No way. Ones I've known that chased that dream ended up bankrupt divorced or dead.

Well that’s morbid as hell!? Did you know some one who died smoking bbq? That seems like a nightmare...

I see a lot of posts here about people wanting to open up full fledge restaurants, but what about specific catering for events? Made to order? Is catering just not a big money maker? It seems that would be the way to start off since you buy exactly what people order and you dont waste on non purchased goods. I have a buddy who is just getting into the catering business but he’s completely new. I am hoping he does well with his venture.

Back