Dare I say, Better than wings?

JU

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm from the Buffalo, NY area. I grew up on wings. I haven't ordered anything below HOT since I was eight. The idea of choosing Ranch over Bleu Cheese is something I cannot fathom. All that being said, if it's going to go on the grill... I break tradition and opt for Thighs.
I like to cut them, almost in half, so they not only resemble a wing but also have more surface area to take smoke and sauce.

Anyone else?

View attachment 170049
View attachment 170050
View attachment 170051
Dip'em. Back on. Dip'em again.
ATTACH]170052[/ATTACH]

View attachment 170053
By the way, Pro tip: soak the celery in ice water for extra crunch. Even if they're a little past prime.

Last edited:
That is an great idea....gonna try that this weekend. BTW they look awesome!

• Thanks
Reactions: JU
I'll probably have to try that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Married a girl from Tonawanda - made me a Duff’s lover (and their cheeseburgers!) and your approach to ranch vs. bc is the Truth!

I’ve got to try the thigh approach... looks like you’ve got this dialed in. Your sauce looks awesome - care to share what’s in it?

Dude. Those look LEGIT. wow. Share your sauce recipe? Beautiful work.

• Thanks
Married a girl from Tonawanda - made me a Duff’s lover (and their cheeseburgers!) and your approach to ranch vs. bc is the Truth!

I’ve got to try the thigh approach... looks like you’ve got this dialed in. Your sauce looks awesome - care to share what’s in it?
Awesome, hopefully she has turned you on to grilled Sahlens hotdogs and Chiavetta's chicken as well.
Ok, so, again... I love the classic which is butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. But, on the grill, I like to mix Frank's, honey, butter, red wine vinegar, a little something hotter than Frank's and Paprika just to get that Red Color.

Looks like a great idea! I only eat hot wings a few times a year, but after seeing this I’m going to get some this week from a local bar that makes wings almost spot on with the Anchor Bar. Chris

• Thanks
Looks like a great idea! I only eat hot wings a few times a year, but after seeing this I’m going to get some this week from a local bar that makes wings almost spot on with the Anchor Bar. Chris

It's funny, I worked right next door to the original Anchor Bar for years but I never went in. I guess there were so many places to get wings that it didn't seem like a big deal.

Thighs are great and CHEAP compared to wings.....love em......great post

• Thanks
It's funny, I worked right next door to the original Anchor Bar for years but I never went in. I guess there were so many places to get wings that it didn't seem like a big deal.

I'm not a big fan of Anchor Bar's wings. So many better places around this area..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Better? Dunno

Cheaper? Definitely

Will have to give that a whirl... real soon.

Love the chicken thighs- they are my favorite bit of the bird.

Only time I buy whole chickens is if I'm busting out a big pot of chicken and dumplings.

Thighs are great and CHEAP compared to wings.....love em......great post

Agreed. I know that once everyone catches on, thigh prices will ramp way up. I mean, the wings used to be pretty much free until they got popular.

Better? Dunno

Cheaper? Definitely

Will have to give that a whirl... real soon.

Love the chicken thighs- they are my favorite bit of the bird.

Only time I buy whole chickens is if I'm busting out a big pot of chicken and dumplings.

Be sure to NOT trim any of the skin. If you have some hanging off the thigh, wrap it around the meat. I cook them off the heat for 30 - 45 minutes. Then, move them to direct and flip constantly. Of course you want crispy skin but they burn real fast.
Good Luck

My wife could eat Chicken 8 days a week. Me not so much.
But she made a convert out of me from Breasts, to Thighs and Legs.
Never was one for wings though. Not enough meat to skin ratio, I guess. :loco:

• Thanks
I'm in for a big plate of these thighs.

They look great! :thumb:

• Thanks
Great post and cook, thanks for the idea of splitting the thighs to resemble wangs!

I’m originally from upstate NY and miss the wings and beef on weck, Buffalo is an underrated food town!

• Thanks
All that being said, if it's going to go on the grill... I break tradition and opt for Thighs.

IMO, buffalo wings belong in a deep fryer, and thighs belong on the grill. I don't know where you got the idea its tradition to cook buffalo wings on the grill.

Back