Sauce

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Okay I am the first to admit, that I am not a good cook. I take forever in the kitchen to make PBJ. My problem is I am a diabetic insulin using BBQ fanatic. I have had to go the no sauce route, but sometimes I want that extra tangy flavor that I got from the cheap doctored sauces I would use. Besides the wife and family prefer to have their Que with sauce.

Does anybody konw of an easy to make sugar free BBQ sauce?

You should look into the vinegar based sauces or consider using Splenda instead of sugar.

I use splenda for everything and they even have a brown sugar splenda too.

I geuss what I am asking for is instructions on how to make a sugar free BBQ sauce.

You seek the Holy Grail of BBQ Sauce!! Splenda does not do well with BBQ. ( doesn't like to cook out and still contains more carbs than expected once you add the rest of the ingrediance ) I have tried Agave, and many others to produce a good tasting sauce for Diabetics. It 's not easy, but my work continues. Who ever of us Brothers comes up with one first will get the Mad Scientist Award of the Year!!

Spice

You seek the Holy Grail of BBQ Sauce!! Splenda does not do well with BBQ. ( doesn't like to cook out and still contains more carbs than expected once you add the rest of the ingrediance ) I have tried Agave, and many others to produce a good tasting sauce for Diabetics. It 's not easy, but my work continues. Who ever of us Brothers comes up with one first will get the Mad Scientist Award of the Year!!

Spice
Is it the heat that ruins it?

It's ok for baking , but the higher temps make it a little bitter. It's a work in progress and believe me their are alot of us working on it even as we speak!! There is a lot of market for the perfect sauce.

It's ok for baking , but the higher temps make it a little bitter. It's a work in progress and believe me their are alot of us working on it even as we speak!! There is a lot of market for the perfect sauce.
I might need to work on this myself!

I would use Sweet Baby Rays' sauce, and a shot of insulin

Gary, controlling you diabetes goes way beyond watching out for sugar.

Carbohydrates are what you need to focus on, not sugar as the singular trigger

Trying to figure out what went wrong when I ate 1 piece of BBQ chicken with sauce. BS reading shot up over 200. No carbs in the bird, so I figure the culprit has to be the sauce.

I would use Sweet Baby Rays' sauce, and a shot of insulin

Gary, controlling you diabetes goes way beyond watching out for sugar.

Carbohydrates are what you need to focus on, not sugar as the singular trigger

Trying to figure out what went wrong when I ate 1 piece of BBQ chicken with sauce. BS reading shot up over 200. No carbs in the bird, so I figure the culprit has to be the sauce.

You get carb free chicken?

Let me look up a few things when I get home and share with you (or anyone else that wants the info)

I have some diabetic nutritional stuff somewhere that might help.

yes, the sauce in your example was a factor, but so was the chicken itself, including the fat (especially skin on chicken)

I'll try and find my nutrition trees tonight

You get carb free chicken?

grilled chicken with no skin is carb free, roasted chicken with skin is carb free. the only listing for carbs under in the Adkins diet's website is for fried chicken.

i believe i saw a zero carb bbq sauce in pathmark. i will check next time i am there.

phil

Now I'm really interested in looking up my facts Gary

Its always good for me to go back and look, because bad habits form from bad knowledge (for me)

When my daughter went on the insulin pump, we were taught differently than 3 years earlier. The second time around, we were taught about fat as a carb. (the pizza effect on basal rates)

So my comment of carb free chicken was really a "fat free" comment (so your response of the Atkins stuff makes me want to research my knowledge again.)

We are about to switch her onto a different pump, so brushing up on what I know (what I think I know, and especially what I don't know) can only be a good thing

Hey Iceman,

Here is a recipe for a Splenda sauce I make for my wife. She is still able to control her diabetes with pills and diet, but this sauce so far has not caused her sugar to spike. It's a little bit spicy, so you may have to tone it down a bit to suit your taste.

1 C Catsup
3/4 C water
1/2 C vinegar
2 TBSP Canola Oil (or evoo)
3 oz (1/2 small bottle) Louisiana hot sauce
4 TBSP Splenda brown sugar
1 TBSP Red Pepper (cayenne)
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 TBSP Lea & Perrins Worcestchire sauce

Mix ingredients together and then bring to boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool before using.

Back