Gochujang Sauce

Hey All, I was lookin to try Gochujang Sauce. anyone have any experience with this? I was gonna get the sweet and spicy and the bbq but i' am not sure howe to use them.

This sauce appears to replicate the Korean BBQ marinade used on pork - thin slices of pork shoulder marinated in the sauce, and grilled over a hot flame on a well oiled flattop to prevent burning. I make my own from scratch starting with Gochujang chili paste, and add other ingredients like brown sugar, sesame oil etc.

Here's a cook I did in the past using pre-marinated meats using the above method:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258307

This sauce appears to replicate the Korean BBQ marinade used on pork - thin slices of pork shoulder marinated in the sauce, and grilled over a hot flame on a well oiled flattop to prevent burning. I make my own from scratch starting with Gochujang chili paste, and add other ingredients like brown sugar, sesame oil etc.

Here's a cook I did in the past using pre-marinated meats using the above method:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258307

You might be thinking of char siu. This is not that... this is a spicy chile sauce. I bought it once before but only tasted it outta the bottle and it was f^^^^ hot lol. I was thinking of adding it to some of this sauce i like to make it less sweet and add a little kick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SV53FB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might be thinking of char siu. This is not that... this is a spicy chile sauce. I bought it once before but only tasted it outta the bottle and it was f^^^^ hot lol. I was thinking of adding it to some of this sauce i like to make it less sweet and add a little kick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SV53FB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it's not Char siu, which is Chinese - have a look at what I wrote:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=258307

Having grown up with korean cooking I can give you some information that may or may not he helpful.

I havent used gochujang on any meats in my smoker but my family has used it various ways.

A gochujang marinade for chicken quarters in the oven works nicely. I dont have specific temps or times. I'd guess cook time was 30min-1hr. Very little burning of the gochujang so i'd assume the oven wasnt turned super hot.

Gochujang marinade on chicken and pork in a pan on the stove or cooked directly on a grill will burn quickly.

If you're going to use the gochujang sauce you'll probably need to thin it out to use as a marinade/mop sauce. The specific product you listed looks like it's usually just for bibimbap and other dishes where a little goes a long way.

I am not familiar with that brand. We use Gochujang which is a PASTE that is often found in tubs (there is one kind in the red tub on the bottom of the Amazon link, although that is not the brand we use). The paste is rather thick. I wouldn't really call gochujang a BBQ sauce. It is really a chile paste. It is a staple of Korean cooking. If you visit Korea you will find the gochujang flavor in much of the food there. We quite like it and use it in a lot of cooking, usually in a wok, on the stove, etc. Gochujang is usually VERY hot. I have used it mixed with Sweet Baby Rays on ribs and they came out with a great flavor. I would not use it straight -- it would be hard to use the stuff we get straight as it is a paste and would be extremely spicy and hard to spread. Your link is to a "sauce" and I expect that is already diluted with other ingredients and maybe can be used straight. If I had a bottle, I'd give it a shot. :thumb:

I won a TD once with a prize from Big Pappa Smokers. I chose Gochujong Korean Hot Sauce by We Rub You, and another rub or two.
My wife just made some Korean ramen today using this sauce, and I have used it for a few things, short ribs for one. It's a thick sauce, spicy and somewhat hot. I have not tried any other brands.

Proper Gochujang is a paste as mentioned. It's hot. I use it all the time in soups and stews.

The OP has shown a Gochujang based condiment. You can find many kinds of these and they can be used in any manner of ways. Marinade. Dipping sauce etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will try small portions in like marinades first lol. I' am kinda scared maybe it'll tone down when cooked but this ****s hot LOL that names kinda deceptive I don't get much sweet hits off of it LOL. I can't imagine using a buttload of this straight LOL

I personally don't like Gochujang. I bought a bottle, and it was not cheap. But every recipe i found that called for it, ruined the dish. That said, me like an idiot bought the Korean paste in a tub which is the same, but thicker, and i hated that as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will try small portions in like marinades first lol. I' am kinda scared maybe it'll tone down when cooked but this ****s hot LOL that names kinda deceptive I don't get much sweet hits off of it LOL. I can't imagine using a buttload of this straight LOL

You don't need to be worried about that original post. You will work it out. It's worth working out. You will benefit.

Gochujang comes in different levels of heat. Simply, you can add some sugar and water to it. A bit of toasted sesame oil.

It is often mixed with Doenjang, which has no heat. The ratio depends. And those are both very salty. They have good fridge/shelf life.

Often they are made into a sauce called Ssamjang. Usually sesame oil, minced or powdered garlic, sugar, water, some rice vinegar, chopped scallions. It need not be complicated. That can be an amazing sauce, but you need to get the balance right.

Ssamjang is great on rice and bibimbap, etc.

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/ssamjang-sauce-for-korean-lettuce-wraps/

After looking at this product on Amazon again, I was incorrect in assuming it was an out of the box/ready to go version of Bulgogi, the name of the spicy marinade I mentioned earlier.

I really had to dig around to find the actual ingredients:

Gochujang Sauce (Water, Brown Sugar, Wheat Onion, Red Pepper Powder, Soy Sauce)

Some of the reviewers used it as a marinade, which would be perfect for grilling.

If at all helpful, here's the base for the Bulgogi marinade I make:

4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
1 2-inch piece ginger, chopped
1/2 cup Korean chile paste(Gochujang)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons sake or mirin

thanks all, Yeah I find a lot of stuff on amazon you really gotta look at the ingrediants as it's a like version not the same version you put in lol. this stuff might be great to take teh too sweet off of sweet and sour sauces and stuff and to add a little heat but i think it'
s gonna be like 1-2 table spoons per use LOL

thanks all, Yeah I find a lot of stuff on amazon you really gotta look at the ingrediants as it's a like version not the same version you put in lol. this stuff might be great to take teh too sweet off of sweet and sour sauces and stuff and to add a little heat but i think it'
s gonna be like 1-2 table spoons per use LOL

Personal experience, if a recipe calls for 1-2 tablespoons, start with 1-2 teaspoons. Heat or sweet, it can over power a dish. Trust me.
Whats that saying, Less is more........

Back