Attempting first rib roast. Ongoing...

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Wife found Choice grade on sale at Kroger for $4.99 lb. I have a WSM, Weber Kettle OTG and a gasser to use.

Found this on the Weber blog:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/4-easy-steps-to-grilling-a-holiday-rib-roast

Looking at this as doable with Applewood chunks in the kettle but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions given the equipment I have to work with?

Thanks for any and all input and Merry Christmas to all. :thumb:

Last edited:
Now I'm thinking may need some type of high heat sear. Should it be reverse sear?

If your grilling it by the recipe(@400*), no you don't need to sear.

Some things to consider....

Dry brine the night before or just you might use worcestershire sauce and some Montreal steak seasoning wrapped in plastic the night before.

I’m for the slow smoke till 120 and then char the chit out of it until 130-135 internal. I’ve done this with a rest between the smoke and char rubbed with vegy oil and Montreal just prior to putting it on for the smoking hot sear to finish it. :thumb:

I would put it in the smoker for an hour or two at like 250 , then onto a scorching hot grill for a few min per side, then into a oven at 250 till it reaches internal 127. Let it rest for 15 min and enjoy.

I’m for the slow smoke till 120 and then char the chit out of it until 130-135 internal. I’ve done this with a rest between the smoke and char rubbed with vegy oil and Montreal just prior to putting it on for the smoking hot sear to finish it. :thumb:

Pretty much how I do it. The trick is to let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before you sear it. Sear it on all sides, but keep an eye on it. It only takes a minute or two to get a good sear over hot coals. 130-135 is what you are shooting for, no need to rest further, and it should be medium rare end to end perfection.

fvCcJMzh.jpg

Pretty much how I do it. The trick is to let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before you sear it. Sear it on all sides, but keep an eye on it. It only takes a minute or two to get a good sear over hot coals. 130-135 is what you are shooting for, no need to rest further, and it should be medium rare end to end perfection.

fvCcJMzh.jpg

Because of my Damn girl never being on time, I've held them for over an hour between cooking and the sear.

I guess I reverse the reverse. I cook them just like my tri tips.

Allow roast to lose some cold before cooking.
Trim fat cap to 1/4”
Rub with evoo or bacon grease
Season liberally with KS and CBP

Sear on all sides and ends/ get a good crust. Take your time- get it all.

Double wrap in foil
Set offset until desired internal temp

Allow to rest 20-40”

Remove foil. Have beef in a pan that can capture juices- there’ll be a ton of juice.

Last edited:
I guess I reverse the reverse. I cook them just like my tri tips.

Allow roast to lose some cold before cooking.
Trim fat cap to 1/4”
Rub with evoo or bacon grease
Season liberally with KS and CBP

Dear on all sides and ends/ get a good crust. Take your time- get it all.

Double wrap in foil
Set offset until desired internal temp

Allow to rest 20-40”

Remove foil. Have beef in a pan that can juices- there’ll be a ton of juice.

That is a great way to cook prime rib and how my mom did it. The alternative is “smoked” prime rib.

My mom cooked briskets like you outline too. I’m still trying to meet or beat that oven brisket. She blackened the crap of it before wrapping it. Loads, I mean loads of pepper! Unbelievable brisket.

........... As long as there’s horseradish sauce- Im in.

No one else will do horseradish in my house, so it's a can of French onion soup simmered with some dales steak seasoning, a little beef paste, garlic,pepper, salt simmered for a while, then strained....home made au jus.:shocked:

Last edited:

fvCcJMzh.jpg

Oh Man! That right there is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Thanks to everyone for the Great input! :clap2:

Back