Smoking brisket at 300 degrees tomorrow.... crazy?

SweetBlue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright guys. After two miserable briskest cooks I'm going to get back on the horse and try it again.... one last time.

This time I pan on cooking at 300 degree temp rather than 250. I'm wondering if the prolonged low temp is drying it out?

Am I crazy? Has anyone else had success with cooking at 300? Any free advice?

Alright guys. After two miserable briskest cooks I'm going to get back on the horse and try it again.... one last time.

This time I pan on cooking at 300 degree temp rather than 250. I'm wondering if the prolonged low temp is drying it out?

Am I crazy? Has anyone else had success with cooking at 300? Any free advice?

I cook all my briskets at 300. What are you cooking it on?

I run 300-325*..........at Muscrat's Father's ShinDig I bumped it up to 400-425* for last 3 hrs to get them done in time but they were panned with a lil beef broth...

Dude. I refuse the premise of your question. 300* is fine. Do not know how many Briskets you have smoked but it only took me about 18 tries to find out that I will never try to smoke a "Select Grade" Brisket again. Choice Grade or above and it has made all the difference.

Just my .02 and Good Luck.

I did my last (and personal best, to date) at 300-325 with Adkins.

Big fan.

You'll do just fine, Brother. Let us know how it turns out for you.

I do mine around that temp. No complaints... And no left overs...

Always cook at around 300 (275-325 is my target range). I wrap at an IT of 160 - 170, (usually 3 1/2 to 4 hours) then continue to cook until it probes tender (temp usually around 205).

I mostly use foil but sometimes butcher paper for wrapping. Butcher paper gets me better bark but I'm cooking so a 92 year old will eat it so foil gets me a more tender, less smokey brisket.

300 is a great temp to cook a Brisket imo.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm feeling a lot more confident. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the results...regardless of how good it turns out :)

Oh and for those wondering. I'm cooking on an egg. The brisket (packer) is on the smaller end at just over 10lbs. My butcher had a decent deal on prime brisket so that's what I went with.

SB, I use the Vision Kamado, and have had great success at 300 using BluDawg's method.

Trust it, and focus on probe tender, not so much on IT.

Good luck.

By the way, surprised nobody has said this yet...if your brisket is tough and dry....you didn't cook it long enough. That is a sign of undercooking, not over cooking.

An over cooked brisket will be fall apart tender and juicy. The longer you cook the more connective tissue breaks down.

Seriously try the KISS method. 300 is still smoking temp and unless you're using a pellet pooper you'll still have plenty of smoke flavor.

Or start Low and Slow until the stall (160* ish is where I do), wrap or not, then just ramp up the temp in the smoker to even higher (300-350) to help it finish off fast.

I just feel that the smoke penetration will be better with low / slow in the beginning. I maybe wrong, but if meat doesn't take on more smoke after around 140-160*, the my common sense would tell me the longer it stays in that temp range the better for smoke flavor.

I like Smoke flavor. So can anyone say with certainty, that the 300+ temps from beginning will give as much smoke flavor?? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Back