THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definitely not my experience at all. What exactly are you seeing as a difference that you don't like?

Hot gives such a small window of perfection. As little as 15 min. The key to cooking hot is a loooooong rest. Often this step is missed or botched. Cooking hot to start (an hr or 2 low at first to kick of that smoke ring) renders fat and gets the bark reaction going. Finished at a lower temp gives a large timing window and a lower internal temp. You would be amazed how moist a slice of flat can be with a finish temp of 195. Near fall apart tender too.

So you are saying low(250 for 2 hours to get smoke) then hot(300-325 for 3-4 hours to get bark and render fat) then low again(back down to 250 for the finish until probe tender)?

I'm corn-fused.

Hot gives such a small window of perfection. As little as 15 min. The key to cooking hot is a loooooong rest. Often this step is missed or botched. Cooking hot to start (an hr or 2 low at first to kick of that smoke ring) renders fat and gets the bark reaction going. Finished at a lower temp gives a large timing window and a lower internal temp. You would be amazed how moist a slice of flat can be with a finish temp of 195. Near fall apart tender too.

So if I am following correctly...

You start low for a couple of hours to let the ring penetrate etc. (I agree completely)

Then you bump the temp to render fat, get better bark and speed things along (I agree again although I am usually waiting a bit longer than 1-2 before bump)

Then you lower the temp to slow the cook at the end to widen your "done" window and keep the internal temp down. Hmmmm.

I have not tried this on the smoker but it makes a lot of sense. Brisket is not done at a certain temp, but a function of time and temperature. Hold it long enough at 155 and connective tissues will break down just like at 195 or 205. By having it finish slower at 195 you say you prefer the texture which is probably right around where I am when I do braised non-bbq brisket which I finish in a 200 degree oven. Coincidence?

I think I will have to give this a try in the Kamado. I can set the controller to auto bring the pit temp down to a steady 195 once the meat hits 190, and just hold it there until done. Or do you slow things down earlier at a specific time or temp?

300 works...cooking temp isn't as critical as pulling it at the right time... if your previous cooks came out dry....most likely was under cooked...unless they were dry and crumbly.

I start 225-250 for 1-2 hours and then let it run at 275 or so. Have done many at 300-325 as well. Agree on the rest...longer the better imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So you are saying low(250 for 2 hours to get smoke) then hot(300-325 for 3-4 hours to get bark and render fat) then low again(back down to 250 for the finish until probe tender)?

I'm corn-fused.

Yes. But after i wrap, in paper, its like 200....or lower

So if I am following correctly...

You start low for a couple of hours to let the ring penetrate etc. (I agree completely)

Then you bump the temp to render fat, get better bark and speed things along (I agree again although I am usually waiting a bit longer than 1-2 before bump)

Then you lower the temp to slow the cook at the end to widen your "done" window and keep the internal temp down. Hmmmm.

I have not tried this on the smoker but it makes a lot of sense. Brisket is not done at a certain temp, but a function of time and temperature. Hold it long enough at 155 and connective tissues will break down just like at 195 or 205. By having it finish slower at 195 you say you prefer the texture which is probably right around where I am when I do braised non-bbq brisket which I finish in a 200 degree oven. Coincidence?

I think I will have to give this a try in the Kamado. I can set the controller to auto bring the pit temp down to a steady 195 once the meat hits 190, and just hold it there until done. Or do you slow things down earlier at a specific time or temp?

I wrap based mostly on how it looks or until i get too tired. Wrapped it goes here.

I can run the rest of the night at 200 and then lower again, as low as 140 depending on preference, to hold until service. The brisket is very tender, past comp standards, but pleasantly moist.

I'm surprised the Edict hasn't put in an appearance yet.

:cool:

Your braise example is a good one. Braising, which wrapping essentially is, is best done at lower temps. My best crock pot roast are always cooked on low.

Back