Uds basket ?

Ham14

Take a breath!
Reaction score
What size basket would I need to get 325 degrees for 8-10 hours. Cheapest way to make it? Right now I have a square 12 by 12 by 6 basket. Thanks

Just curious what you'd cook @ 325* that would take 8-10 hours, Maybe...maybe 8 but surely not 10 hours.

Go a wider basket like 15-17" x 5-6" deep, that would be as big as my 007 basket and I know that would work.

Just curious what you'd cook @ 325* that would take 8-10 hours, Maybe...maybe 8 but surely not 10 hours.

Go a wider basket like 15-17" x 5-6" deep, that would be as big as my 007 basket and I know that would work.

Probably would not need that long. Usually I cook pork butts at 300-325 and it takes around 5-6 hours. I wanted to over stretch than under. To make a 17*6 how much expanded metal would be needed and do you attach it to a Weber charcoal grate? I use a pizza pan for ashes. Just curious am I right with my times on two 8 pound butts at 300-325 to cook in six hours? Thanks as always

Probably would not need that long. Usually I cook pork butts at 300-325 and it takes around 5-6 hours. I wanted to over stretch than under. To make a 17*6 how much expanded metal would be needed and do you attach it to a Weber charcoal grate? I use a pizza pan for ashes. Just curious am I right with my times on two 8 pound butts at 300-325 to cook in six hours? Thanks as always

Taking one of these and cutting it in half for 6" high sections to wrap around a Weber 22.5 charcoal grate (around 17" diameter") you would come up a few inches short so you would need 2 packages. Maybe you could find a better deal on expanded steel somewhere but this is what I used for my last basket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman...-Rolled-Weldable-Steel-Expanded-Sheet/3051815

You can check with metal fab shops to see if they have any scrap cut offs. That's where I got mine and it was free.

How long a piece does it take to go around a Weber charcoal grate

I believe circumference is Pie x diameter. You would need a little extra for overlap to attach.

Is 1/2 inch metal ok? Just going to get two sheets and a grate and make a 15-16 round and 12 high. It should be plenty to get a long high temp cook.

Last edited:
#9 expanded metal. The sheets at HD here are 1'X2'. You will need 2 sheets. Some metal safety wire, or bolts. Easy to bend/shape around a pole/fence. Wire your 17" Weber grate 4" up from the bottom. Use an plastic bucket handle. Ash pan if you want. I don't use one any more as I need some ash after some cooks to absorb the grease that went outside the basket and is in the bottom of the drum. I use a small broom/dust pan to clean my drum out. I did not like having to dump ash with the basket/coals attached. Or just dumping ash from the unattached pan. Less mess with the broom/dust pan.

If I had a UDS or a WSM 22.5 I'd want the Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, they're not cheap but it always gets great reviews.

vortexbasket1_1024x1024.png

Back