THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ham14

Take a breath!
What size basket would I need to get 325 degrees for 8-10 hours. Cheapest way to make it? Right now I have a square 12 by 12 by 6 basket. Thanks

Just curious what you'd cook @ 325* that would take 8-10 hours, Maybe...maybe 8 but surely not 10 hours.

Go a wider basket like 15-17" x 5-6" deep, that would be as big as my 007 basket and I know that would work.

Just curious what you'd cook @ 325* that would take 8-10 hours, Maybe...maybe 8 but surely not 10 hours.

Go a wider basket like 15-17" x 5-6" deep, that would be as big as my 007 basket and I know that would work.

Probably would not need that long. Usually I cook pork butts at 300-325 and it takes around 5-6 hours. I wanted to over stretch than under. To make a 17*6 how much expanded metal would be needed and do you attach it to a Weber charcoal grate? I use a pizza pan for ashes. Just curious am I right with my times on two 8 pound butts at 300-325 to cook in six hours? Thanks as always

Probably would not need that long. Usually I cook pork butts at 300-325 and it takes around 5-6 hours. I wanted to over stretch than under. To make a 17*6 how much expanded metal would be needed and do you attach it to a Weber charcoal grate? I use a pizza pan for ashes. Just curious am I right with my times on two 8 pound butts at 300-325 to cook in six hours? Thanks as always

Taking one of these and cutting it in half for 6" high sections to wrap around a Weber 22.5 charcoal grate (around 17" diameter") you would come up a few inches short so you would need 2 packages. Maybe you could find a better deal on expanded steel somewhere but this is what I used for my last basket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman...-Rolled-Weldable-Steel-Expanded-Sheet/3051815

You can check with metal fab shops to see if they have any scrap cut offs. That's where I got mine and it was free.

How long a piece does it take to go around a Weber charcoal grate

Is 1/2 inch metal ok? Just going to get two sheets and a grate and make a 15-16 round and 12 high. It should be plenty to get a long high temp cook.

Last edited:
#9 expanded metal. The sheets at HD here are 1'X2'. You will need 2 sheets. Some metal safety wire, or bolts. Easy to bend/shape around a pole/fence. Wire your 17" Weber grate 4" up from the bottom. Use an plastic bucket handle. Ash pan if you want. I don't use one any more as I need some ash after some cooks to absorb the grease that went outside the basket and is in the bottom of the drum. I use a small broom/dust pan to clean my drum out. I did not like having to dump ash with the basket/coals attached. Or just dumping ash from the unattached pan. Less mess with the broom/dust pan.

If I had a UDS or a WSM 22.5 I'd want the Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, they're not cheap but it always gets great reviews.

vortexbasket1_1024x1024.png

Back