turkey sausage fatty

SmokeyBear

is one Smokin' Farker
I did a turkey sausage fatty this morning (work midnight shift and was off last night). I had picked up a log of turkey sausage with the idea of doing a fatty with it. I sprinkled it with a little Hickory Grill and put it in the BGE.

It is absolutely horrible.

I had high hopes as it has so much less fat than pork sausage. The meat is moist, but the taste is just plain bad. I don't know if the rub just doesn't agree with the turkey thus the bad taste, but the texture is horrible too.

I've done the little turkey link breakfast sausage on the hotspot of my smoker sprinkled with rub. They came out fine. Did you use turkey sausage, or just ground turkey? I don't see the later having much taste if not heavily seasoned.
Ty

Mince up some japs or serranos and garlic and mix them with the turkey. Plus apply rub liberally.

thillin said:
I've done the little turkey link breakfast sausage on the hotspot of my smoker sprinkled with rub. They came out fine. Did you use turkey sausage, or just ground turkey? I don't see the later having much taste if not heavily seasoned.
Ty

It was turkey sausage in log form just like the Jimmy Dean stuff although it was a different name brand. The texture when cooked was terrible too. I think that I'll forget about the turkey sausage fatties, although I do have another package from a different company that I could try just to see if I get different results.

Interesting idea - I love smoked turkey but never thought of a fattie. Please let us know how the second one goes.

Anybody else have success with turkey fatties?

Back