Rotisserie semi-boneless leg of lamb on a kettle

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I found a 4.70 lbs semi-boneless leg of lamb for $3.99 a pound, so that's whats going on the rotisserie. My setup runs hot, because that's what poultry likes, so figure around 350 deg. Any tips? Should I take the bone out and truss it? I'm interested in times at the higher heat.

On the rotis, I'd debone and truss, after seasoning the inside with lots o garlic and herbs...

Dads, with a big piece of meat like a lamb leg, I would recommend a different approach. If you can smoke it at a low temp- 200-225, you can achieve a perfect edge to edge medium rare. When it hits about 110, pile on some coals and chunks, and get your fire ripping hot for the last few minutes until your IT hits 125, pull and rest. If you cook it hot, you will find a lot more gray and less pink.

Here's a prime rib I did on the rotis. Same principle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229476

Leg of Lamb

DSC02769.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

I run at about 325 degrees and get good results.

On the rotis, I'd debone and truss, after seasoning the inside with lots o garlic and herbs...

Dads, with a big piece of meat like a lamb leg, I would recommend a different approach. If you can smoke it at a low temp- 200-225, you can achieve a perfect edge to edge medium rare. When it hits about 110, pile on some coals and chunks, and get your fire ripping hot for the last few minutes until your IT hits 125, pull and rest. If you cook it hot, you will find a lot more gray and less pink.

Here's a prime rib I did on the rotis. Same principle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229476
The insert leaks air like a sieve, it always runs hot.

Not sure if you checked my link, but it was run without a lid the whole time.. You just control temperature by fire size/fuel amount. You'll have to add a few coals every 30-45 minutes

Not sure if you checked my link, but it was run without a lid the whole time.. You just control temperature by fire size/fuel amount. You'll have to add a few coals every 30-45 minutes
I thought about doing it over some cherry coals, I will just have to see if I have the time to hover over it, drinking good beer. Decisions, decisions.

My setup is definitely redneck. It basically supports the rig, and the lid just sort of balances on top without sealing.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg~original

Last edited:
My setup is definitely redneck. It basically supports the rig, and the lid just sort of balances on top without sealing.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

Open the lamb up and cook it in that rectangular basket,hot and fast. then let it rest
:hungry:

When I rotisserie tri tip I'd stop the spin to sear up each side more. The coals would have to be right under for this to work obviously though.

When you got this meat spinning and getting a crust on it.
Some Lemon juice in olive oil basted on it is awesome.
lemon and Salt love Lamb

rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg
Where did you get the 4-tine rotisserie forks?

Where did you get the 4-tine rotisserie forks?
Google has them listed.
All you see was part of my inheritance. My Dad had some sort of rotisserie going on all his grills as long as I can remember. Pieces of crap made out of sheet metal with no temperature control besides a beer bottle, with his thumb in the neck, full of water, to extinguish some of the coals. As well as what you see in the picture, I have three more spits and another motor, the kettle insert is my abomination, made out of a trashed road sign.

Google has them listed.
All you see was part of my inheritance. My Dad had some sort of rotisserie going on all his grills as long as I can remember. Pieces of crap made out of sheet metal with no temperature control besides a beer bottle, with his thumb in the neck, full of water, to extinguish some of the coals. As well as what you see in the picture, I have three more spits and another motor, the kettle insert is my abomination, made out of a trashed road sign.
Your dad sounds like he was a great BBQ dude.

Thanks. Found the spit forks on amazon. Reason I asked is discovered the 2-tines that came with my lazy-ass Weber rotisserie kit were missing today. Further investigation revealed my son had used the spit rod as a poker in the backyard fire pit and forgot where he put them. Still haven't found them.

Your dad sounds like he was a great BBQ dude.

Thanks. Found the spit forks on amazon. Reason I asked is discovered the 2-tines that came with my lazy-ass Weber rotisserie kit were missing today. Further investigation revealed my son had used the spit rod as a poker in the backyard fire pit and forgot where he put them. Still haven't found them.
He overcooked everything that wasn't on the rotisserie. Miss him daily.

Deboning resulted in an uneven thickness to use Tish's method, so I made a roast of it.
Cherry%20lamb%20cook_zpswvggmyku.jpg~original

Pulled it at 130 F, and it's resting.
I've got an potato/apple salad to go with it and some brown rice.
I plan to post photos for my wife online, as she is out of town and will miss out.

Last edited:
Deboning resulted in an uneven thickness to use Tish's method, so I made a roast of it.
Cherry%20lamb%20cook_zpswvggmyku.jpg

Pulled it at 130 F, and it's resting.
I've got an potato/apple salad to go with it and some brown rice.
I plan to post photos for my wife online, as she is out of town and will miss out.

How was it?

Back