Anyone running a 20x48 or 20x60 offset?

Fch619

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a 20x60 or a 24x60 offset in a trailer. What's making my decision difficult is cost and builder. I've always lusted over having a Gator Pit, but I can get a WHOLE lot more pit and for far less money with a Lone Star Grillz. I know 24 is probably the way most would go, but I also know that I'll still be wanting a Gator and a 24x48 Gator on a trailer is literally 3,000 more and without all the added features of the LSG. My question is, is anyone currently running a 20x48 or 20x60? I'd like to know it's capacity. If I can fit at least 4 briskets on the bottom rack of a 20x60 id have no problem going with the smaller gator. It's mainly going to be for competition cooking and maybe an occasional tailgating trip to the game.

I would advise you to go biggest in your budget.. your needs right now and needs in the near future may be vastly different get as much pit as you can afford now.. and in the future you will be glad you did!

I've seen the Shirleys. They put together a fine pit and the price is definitely a value, but I'm trying to stick to the Houston area to save on drive time/ expenses and or shipping. I may have to go with DownHomeQues suggestion and go bigger and save a few bucks with LSG.

Go for all three and post the head to head to head cook results. Think of the service you would be providing for all those Brethren members on the fence for which smoker to get. Seriously from my research all three are good choices. I chose LSG due to lower shipping cost, my perception of overall build quality and tuning plates over RF. Shirley has some advantages such as the cabinet doors (more cook area) but the shipping cost was a deal breaker for me. Keep in mind I ordered my LSG prior to the price increase.

How do you like the warming oven? What kind of temp does it run in the oven when you're at 225-250 in the smoker?

I've had a 20x48 lyfe tyme for years. It's cooked up a lot if very good BBQ, but it has limitations when you want to cook for a lot of people or you have really big briskets. I also have a 24x56 trailer pit with a monster upright. I love the 24 diameter, but it didn't take long for me to start kicking myself for not going 30 diameter. When it comes to the offsets always get one bigger than you think you'll need. Trust me, you'll be thanking me for tempting you..

My smoker is 24"x48", so I can't really give you any ideas based on experience. However, from a mathematical standpoint, if you have a 20"x60", it works out to 4 briskets at 20"x15" each. That being said, if you can, I'd go with 24" for anything. Bigger is always better and that's my $0.02.

Good luck with your research, Joe.

I'm using a 24x48 no upright on my trailer now. It worked well, but for competition I like to use different woods for different meats. So we got a pit maker vault, but we roll that on to a separate trailer and haul it around. I wanted to put it on my existing trailer, but it won't support the weight. Wanted to add an axle, but it wasn't recommended. Thought about mounting the smaller pit maker safe on there, but I still might be pushing it. Weather I get the 24 or the 20 I'm still going to have a vault or safe mounted on the new trailer with a frame and axles that can support the weight from the get go. So I'll have large capacity capability if I run out of room on the smaller 20 inch offset. I just played around with my 16 horizon ranger which is 16x40 and I can fit two 9 pound briskets on it comfortably, so I think I can put 4 on a 20x60, but it's gonna be close and I'm pretty much limited to 9lbs and under which isn't always going to be available.... I'm trying to justify to myself for going with the smaller size since it's really just for competition and maybe a tailgate at the game...for cook offs I only cook 2 briskets and for a tailgate party 3 usually gets its done when I have other meats like ribs or butts...ill have the vault if I really need to load up for a large reunion or something...cooking at home, I'll still have my other pits for bigger cooks...im having a real hard time letting go of that gator...but, I know you guys are right... I should go with the bigger size... Maybe I can leave room and add a gator grill or something later on.

Last edited:
I have a Klose 20x48. David Klose tried to sell me the 20x54, but I chose the 48 with dual shelves and the charcoal basket instead.

I love my pit, but if I had it to do over, I'd get the 24x48 without the charcoal basket. It works, but I don't use it very often. I like to place my meats perpendicular to the fire and occasionally I'll get a big brisket or rack of ribs that touches front and back.

Dual racks are nice, but I often take the upper rack out to make it easier to turn, flip, and baste.

That's my $0.02,

David

I have never had an occasion to cook 3 briskets, but I am sure I could fit them. I have cooked 8 butts at once (4 rows, 2 deep):

picture.php

I will tell you that everyone says "Buy the biggest pit you can afford" and I have occasionally suffered from pit envy, but I rarely fill my pit to capacity when I cook.

Most often I am cooking 2 butts of 3-4 racks of ribs.

I have never had an occasion where I needed to cook more food than my 20x48 could hold at once.

I would get a quote from all 3. There's no harm in that. I can be in Houston in about 3 hours but I chose to drive to AL. Nothing wrong with your plan since LSG is so close and they make a damn nice cooker. I would at least look at a couple options. Also the warmer is more usable on a 24" cooker. Good luck on your search.

I would at least try and get a 24" diameter model , with a second shelf you loose so mush grate space due to the roundness of the cooker .

Back