Idea for leftover turkey... Not Q, but looks good.

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Was watching the food channel this morning and saw a segment on one of the shows with Emeril Lagasse. He threw out a recipe for "Turkey Bone Gumbo".

I went and checked it out on his site and it looked pretty tasty. I've allways wanted to learn to make File Gumbo, so I think I'm gonna give this a try instead of the normal turkey sammich fare.

In case you are interested...

Turkey Bone Gumbo
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Total Time:
3 hr 50 min
Prep:
10 min
Cook:
3 hr 40 min
Yield:
4 servings
Level:
Intermediate
Ingredients

• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped bell peppers
  • salt
  • cayenne
  • 1 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kiebasa, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 6 cups turkey stock
  • leftover turkey meat, about 3 to 4 cups
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon file powder
  • 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
Directions
In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, combine the oil and flour and stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4-5 minutes, or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the stock. Stir until the roux mixture and stock are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Add the turkey. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat . Stir in the parsley and green onions. Remove the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls with rice.

Always down for some gumbo. I might have to give it a try. Thanks.

Turkey gumbo is awesome. Some folks actually ask their neighbors to save their leftover carcasses.

Pro Tip: Roast the liver with the bird. Finely dice it and stir it into the gumbo.

Turkey gumbo is awesome. Some folks actually ask their neighbors to save their leftover carcasses.

Pro Tip: Roast the liver with the bird. Finely dice it and stir it into the gumbo.

I'm doing the turkey in the Big Easy... Could we just fry the livers?

VR,
Harold

Back