Steak! Wood or not?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So who likes so to add smoke/wood to the flavor of a steak? I mostly do it now by adding a small chunk of Oak, and sometimes a little Mesquite.

I like to add small chunks of wood to the coals just before the food goes on. If its chicken, I just scatter the wood all over. If it is something that will flare up, I put the chunks on both sides of the cooking area.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the question.:redface: but yes grilling a really good steak does give me some.
:mrgreen:

Good steaks are starting to cramp my wallet. This was a top sirloin at $3.99 a Lb. that was great tonight. I hope beef prices go down one day.

Attachments

• DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 207
I use lump only sometimes. Or I may use one hunk of a lite wood

I always throw some piece of wood on no matter what. Love a super thick ribeye with mesquite.

I normally add hickory chunks when grilling with my OTG. Cooking a steak over straight sticks... even better.

I enjoy a small chunk of wood with steak!
I do find that you can add to much wood flavor to your steak so I tend to use it sparingly.
Just my preference.

I always smoke my fiorentina and panzanese steaks! I do prefer red oak! For me mesquite is too strong!

I grill steak over a very hot bed of coals made up of mostly oak chunks, with a little lump to get everything started. Pecan sometimes.
One of the best neighborhood steak places I ever knew tossed chunks of green oak in with the charcoal on their grill and got fantastic results.

People always scoff when they see my wood chip bags next to my wood chunks.

In my opinion, wood chips are perfect for steaks. One or two pecan/hickory chips in the fire right after the sear can be the perfect touch, as long as you don't over-do it. Just a hint of smoke is all you need.

A chunk is way too much smoke for just a couple steaks. And even if I tamp it down to re-use the coals, I feel committed to burning that piece of wood on my next cook, whether or not that flavor makes any sense for what I'm cooking.

Chips are the way to go for anything hot and fast. Chunks are for low and slow.

Back