London Broil: suggestions?

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a nice thick, well marbled piece of Top Round London Broil. LB is a meal that goes way back to family dinners when I was a kid. Every time I consider doing it on the wsm I hear my Dad's voice telling me "No! You'll dry it out. That's why it's called London BROIL!" Any ideas?

It does cook best when cooked hot and fast. It is lean, and can be tough if you don't cut against the grain of the meat.

I prefer to marinade it for several hours, cook on the grill medium high to high, while basting with fresh marinade. Overcooking will dry it out and make it very hard to chew...

Yep. Listen to IamMadMan.
Even if it looks well marbled, it will dry out fast.
I used to do London Broil all the time; on the grill, like a thick steak, but marinated. Keep it on the rare-ish side.

We do it on a hot grill after marinading in my mother in law's family recipe that includes orange marmalade, soy sauce, minced garlic and some other stuff (a bit of dijon I think). I don't love the orange flavor but my wife digs it, and I think its pretty good.

Hot and fast for sure, let it rest to keep the juices in, and slice thin across the grain.

Made two last night. Hot and fast on the Weber Kettle.

To cook, put it on the smoker at 225 to get some nice smoke on it. Pull it at 120 and throw it on a hot pan or hot grill to do a reverse sear. Will still be nice and juicy.

Before cooking, there's all sorts of different marinades that you could use. Simple Italian dressing with some Worcesteshire, add some Soy sauce as well. Or Soy sauce and pineapple juice. Or soy sauce and orange juice. Or add some orange zest.

I do a reverse sear on the kettle so it can get a little smoke. I set the kettle fairly low, around 275 and let it cook to about 110~115, ramp the kettle up then give it a final sear.

Looks like kettle it is. I'll do a 2 zone fire. Direct hot for sear then indirect to cook through.

I do a reverse sear on the kettle so it can get a little smoke. I set the kettle fairly low, around 275 and let it cook to about 110~115, ramp the kettle up then give it a final sear.

I like the reverse sear method too. Gets more smoke into the meat that way.
Actually, I am doing a 3 pound tri-tip that way on the kettle tonight.

Back