Steaks...To Oil or Not To oil

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello Brethren,

Simple question to you. When preparing steaks to put on the grill do you coat them with oil or not before coating with seasonings? And what is your prefered oil? The ever popular EVOO?

veggie oil it has a higher smoke rate than evoo i save the evoo for marinades ,salad etc.

I haven't oiled the steaks but I do normally oil the grate before I toss the steaks on.

i've done side by side and the only thing that was differant was the oiled steak had flare up unfer it for a couple minutes. as far as the quality of the steak. none

I've tried all kinds of things, from oils to butter to a soak in Italian dressing. In the end, I discovered that I prefer my steak surface to be dry when it hits the fire. I sometimes even salt and pepper my steaks the day before cooking, and let it sit in the fridge to draw moisture out of the surface -- a mini dry age.

I like the nice crust I get on the steak when I grill a steak prepared like that over high heat. A tasty crust on the outside, and juicy medium-rare inside.

If a guest wants their steak done more (even well done), they still get a juicy, flavorful steak.

That's my own personal preference.

CD

I put some in the marinade, along with other things, but I don't coat them with oil

Never have used oil, never will. I just don't see any benefit that could come from it. If you do oil your steak I agree with skidder, evoo can't handle those temps, you would be better off using regular olive oil.

caseydog I am headed to your place, you cook them the way I like them.:-D

i usually oil the grates with grapeseed oil

in my experience, a dry surface steak gets better grill marks

i wouldn't worry about evoo/veg and smokepoints if you're oiling the meat. the oil is to get a better thermal connection between the grate and the meat, and to help prevent sticking.
EVOO tastes a lot better than veg oil. WHen i oil meat, i use EVOO.

I put a little canola oil on my steak just so the seasoning stays on. It also keeps the steak from sticking when you first slap it on there. Not very much and not for seasoning. I always oil my food and never the grate.

I've had some success in getting the crust with salt/pepper/evoo but will try CD's method of s/p refrigerated overnite...never thought about drawing surface moisture out...thanks

I've had some success in getting the crust with salt/pepper/evoo but will try CD's method of s/p refrigerated overnite...never thought about drawing surface moisture out...thanks

I tried it for the first time about two months back. I salted a prime Ribeye steak with fine sea salt, set it on a cooling rack, and put it in the fridge. About thirty minutes before cook time, I pulled it out, patted it with a paper towel, and added my fresh cracked pepper.

I do it that way all the time, now.

CD

I used to use EVOO, decided I like them better with just simple seasonings

Back