Boneless Turkey Breast

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking about watching for some post-Thanksgiving deals on some turkey to smoke and/or bake. My buddy has a big meat slicer so I was planning cook the breast(s) and then slice thin for sandwiches. I could then portion, vacu-suck and freeze. However, I have never cooked just a boneless turkey breast. I am guessing everything should be fine but I figured I would check with the brethren. I would brine it before cooking and perhaps wrap/cover in bacon to fight drying during the cook. Thoughts?

Also, feel free to report any deals people are finding as I know stuff goes on sale now that the Thanksgiving rush is passing.

I would not brine as long as a whole turkey. I would leave the skin on and smoke that way, then remove the skin when you are going to slice.

Yeah, I do not plan to brine for as long as I normally would. I do think this will be a good time to try out different brines if I should want to do more than one breast. It will be a good way to experiment without risking a whole bird.

In the past I have used a weak brine on a Turkey breast and did it for 24 hours.
The Osmosis process of Brine....takes time....probably will take about 8 hours
minimum for the process to work properly. You can do it for less time; but you may
not get the maximum flavor in it.

As far as wrapping the breast in Bacon .....you can if you want.....but the Turkey
breast will not dry out unless you overcook it. I have cooked many Turkey breasts,
thighs, and legs on the grill; they were always moist and juicy. Back then I didn't
use a thermometer; I just went by feel....when it was firm, it was done. Now I use
a temperature probe, and it is more precise. When the internal temperature hits
165 degrees....take it off the grill.....it's done.

Brine not necessary. Skip the bacon as it robs smoke from the breast.
Cook until 165 and it will be plenty juicy.

Brine not necessary. Skip the bacon as it robs smoke from the breast.
Cook until 165 and it will be plenty juicy.

I would agree.
Lots of people love to brine a Turkey .....and that's fine if you want.
I used to.....but in recent years I haven't done it....you don't need to, as
long as you don't overcook the Turkey.
This year I just sprayed some Olive Oil on the skin, sprinkled on the seasonings, sprayed on a little more
Olive Oil to make the seasonings cling better. Then cooked the Turkey in
the oven at 325 degrees until the internal temperature of the breast hit
165 degrees. It was moist and juicy and tasty.

Back