Breast side up or down?

I'm cooking two turkeys, a turkey breast and two pork loins on my Jambo today. Because of the way the heat passes through the cooker, it is hotter over the top of the meat than the bottom (unlike my UDS and keg). So, I started my turkeys breast side down and after about an hour, I flipped them breast side up.

I think it depends on how your cooker behaves.

Have read reasons/purposes/theories why in the past... haven't scratched that itch yet.

Sounds reasonable... easier to handle/maneuver (pivot) the bird already on a turkey cannon.

Breast down 45 minutes, on one side for 15 min, other side for 15 min, then breast side up until done. This is from Cook's Illustrated and works great for me.

guess the cooker style matters, but I appear to be the minority here. I cook my turkey breast down. I do not care about the picture perfect bird going to the cutting board. It all gets cut up for serving anyhow. But why I do it? all that juice that normally sits next to the drummy and thigh when you have a breast up cooked bird sits down in the breast area when you cook it breast down. Of course if you inject your turkey then the juice all runs out more or less cause of the holes in the skin.

However, one option you forgot about is spatchcocked!:shock:

Back