• Moldy Grill

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Was wondering how you guys clean your grills that have sat for a while in damp weather and might have collected a little mold? Looking for something other than the good old "Just burn it off" :thumb: method... Unless of course, that IS by far the best option.

(it will be lit after cleaning for a burn out as well)

Cheers.

Its the second purpose of a weedburner... actually 2nd step.

Quick brush down, then the weedburner (on turbo), then re-fire and oil down.

I wouldnt use a brush until after the burn. I clogged up the bristles on a brush with wet mold. Nasty. I've soaked my grates in the lake, mold wiped off easy. So my technique now is just spray the grates off. Wipe off what I can with a rag, then burn the rest.

I found my drum a little moldy yesterday too. Surprised me. I just hosed it out good, which seemed to knock it all off, sprayed with pam, and then lit a regular fire. Got it up to 375* or so for a few hours.

Hopefully I did it right and my brisket today isn't moldy tasting. ,)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Oven cleaner will work, spray it down and leave it overnight if you can or at least a couple hours then spray off with garden hose. Myself I would just fire up my weed burner and then brush it off but you say you don't own one.
Dave

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
2 TBS boric acid

Spray it on grill, let dry and repeat several times.

Wash it down with soapy water, rinse it and let it dry.

Follow all recommended safety precautions.

However, the real fix is to remove whatever on the grill the mold is growing on. That may require you to grind off the carbon/oil buildup on some parts down to the bare metal.

+1 for the oven cleaner but also +1 for just burning it off, whether it be a weed burner or over coals on the grill. Get it good and hot and brush it down on both sides, oil it, and you are good as gold.

What?:confused: Clean them?:shock: That's FLAVOR baby!:heh:

SNP10.jpg

Can those of you recommending oven cleaner or acid, is this based on past experience of something not working or a reference. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems excessive to me. I would love to be educated... and I'm a curious since I just hosed mine out and it seemed to come clean. Did I miss something?

I had a mold problem one time in a grill. The oven cleaner didn't work for me. The mixture I listed 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 2 TBS boric acid worked best since those things together will kill molds.

However, as I mentioned, if you don't remove the stuff the mold is growing in, it will come back. If oven cleaner works, that is how it is doing it by removing whatever the mold likes to grow in.

Huh. I guess there can be different levels of mold. Though, mine was in a pretty new drum with only 1 smoke on it. There wasn't a lot of build up and it everything hosed off it pretty easily.

Clorox. Then, burn it out or scrub it out. Don't breathe the smoke, if you burn it out. Even dead, burning mold can make you not feel so good. We have a similar problem when we light our furnaces for the first time in humid parts of Texas. Burning mold won't kill you, but it can give you flu-like symptoms for a few days. I know that from first-hand experience.

Seriously, nothing destroys mold and mildew like bleach.

CD

Check out this link - http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCategory.asp?idCategory=78

"Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA’s lead. The public should be aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor mold allergens that trigger allergies."

My experience with a moldy grill was caused by wheat flour that was trapped in the carbon build up on the grates and surface of the walls. The boric acid mixture was the only thing that helped. I even took a weed burner to it but the mold returned. The boric acid mixture worked on the walls but I had to grind off the build up from the grates to eliminate the mold completely.

Biga you got me freaked out with that pic. I hope that was a science project.

Biga you got me freaked out with that pic. I hope that was a science project.
:laugh:LOL!

That is a shot of the grates of an old neglected offset I own. A year or so back there was an effort (led by Phubar I think) to dust off those old neglected cookers and fire them up again for old times sake. I mentioned I had not even opened mine in years and was afraid I might find an old brisket still in there. Folks demanded pics. I obliged.:thumb:

Back