Chicken Box...rate it please

Smokin' Joe

is one Smokin' Farker
Below is my chicken box from the NKC competition yesterday. I'm looking for some feedback on it please. I will post the scores it actually received later. I did add some parsley after the picture was taken to cover the skin on the lower part of the lower right thigh. Thanks for the help. Be honest I can handle it:heh:

3-13-2011043.jpg

The picture is a little small for my old eyes, but, that sure looks terrific, very even, nicely shaped and consistent, good color, nicely done.

Solid 8 from me too. If it did have the parsley cover the bones as you said you did I would give it a 9.

like said above 8 or 9 with added parsley

let me guess you got some odd scores also?

Yep, just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing track of what good appearance looked like:becky: Sounds like I'm still on the right track:thumb:

The only things I can pick on is the center thigh in the front row. It has some gaps in the sauce right in front that caught my eye, and the bone ticking out a little on the front right thigh. But, I really don't think either of those would be enough to give it an 8. I'd give it a 9.

For those that said 8 without a reason, can you please explain? I've seen boxes that looked worse than that get a perfect 180!

Yep, just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing track of what good appearance looked like:becky: Sounds like I'm still on the right track:thumb:

Joe you are not loosing your mind those looks awesome. Take the scores you got with a grain of salt from this contest. Don't get me wrong I like cooking this contest but I know that getting 100% certified judges for this contest is the last thing on there mind. Its all about politics and getting the folks from the Rotary club and the folks from NKC on board to judge! Great seeing and look forward to seeing you guys at P-Hill!

Jon

are judges looking at parsley???? if so..they need re-trained..

I am waiting for the blast.....(garnish is not a judging criteria)!!!!

You know I agree with you, but as a husband and wife team, my wife is in charge and gets all credit for appearance scores(which usually rock btw), you know you trained her Sal, in efficient parsley bunching, your little tip sped up the process 5 fold

So for me and my situation, judges better look at the freakin parsley:becky:

That little nub sticking out on the bottom right thigh really caught my eye but if you covered that up with parsley that has to be an easy 9 in my book.

The picture is not as clear and detailed as I wish it was. I would have to say at least an 8 and possibly a nine if I could see it a little better.

Back