Santa Maria Tri-Tip on the Santa Maria

NoOne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This isn’t the first cook (second) on the new Santa Maria, but we will call it the first official cook. I decided to keep it simple and honor the heritage of the grill with a traditional Santa Maria feed. Stared with a red oak bed of coals and on the menu we had...

Tri-Tip - rubbed with Pappy’s Red Lable
Wild Fork Pork Steak House Sausages
Pinquito Baked Beans - with a substitute of Pinto and Black Beans
Pico de Gallo
Tossed Green Salad - basic vinaigrette with goat cheese and dried cherries
Garlic bread
And a surprise at the end!

The first cook was spatchcock chickens and it was 40F with some solid wind and that was challenging. I think I’m getting the fire management dialed in, it is a very active cook and is a lot of fun. The weather was much nicer, but it still takes an hour to an hour and a half to get the coals ready for the cook. I started the fire at 3:30, guests came over at 5, food on at 5:10, beverage in hand at 5:11 and we were eating by 6:15.

Started with making the Pico.
4XhnCX3.jpg

I may have made the fire a bit too big to start.
qykwz7j.jpg

Got the Tri-Tips on and the beans going in the cast iron.
DtpO9B2.jpg

Flipped the roasts at the 30 minute mark and put on the sausage and garlic bread.
9vm6xuP.jpg

After I pulled the roasts to rest, moved the sausage and bread over. Added some grilled chili rellenos (ohhh yeah!)
p4U0KFy.jpg

First Tri-Tip to slice. I have seen a few threads lately that says you can’t get a good crust on a Tri-Tip... BS! Look at that! It does help that the coals were melt your face hot, but damn that was as good a crust as I have ever gotten on a steak.
RgLyeCG.jpg

lgtUXhc.jpg

The sausages were our first order from Wild Fork Foods, we were really impressed, they came out great.
vo1Ynh4.jpg

The beans were good, a little too sweet for me, so we will adjust the recipe next time. I have to say one of the added benefits to this grill is the ability to throw in the dutch oven with the coals. The first cook we made a sour dough loaf in the cast iron and it is a natural addition to the grill.
WXeSOrc.jpg

And finally the chili rellenos. This was a game day inspiration and it was awesome.
ZDhYq2k.jpg

I never got a shot of my plate, after all that work, it was time to eat. It was a great meal and a very enjoyable cook. I’m learning a lot about the cooker, my timing was off just a bit on this one, but I should get her dialed in over the next couple of cooks.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Outstanding! Santa Maria is my favorite way to cook

Great demonstration of cooking on a Santa Maria grill with multiple food items! Tri tip looks beautiful!

kbNrvea.jpg

From what I see up above, you're cooking like an old pro so far!

Looks like you all had a grand and delicious evening.

well $%&*@( now i want one of those!!!

that look AWESOME and FUN!!!

do OK in wind or do coals zoom around? that would be my reservation where i live. good golly that looks amazing.

well $%&*@( now i want one of those!!!

that look AWESOME and FUN!!!

do OK in wind or do coals zoom around? that would be my reservation where i live. good golly that looks amazing.

Thanks, I haven’t noticed the coals moving around, and I have fired it up in some wind and ash does get all over, but the coals are fine. The issue with the wind is controlling the fire and getting a clean burn on the wood.

Looks like you two have become pretty good friend in a short amount of time. Outstanding cook and char :eusa_clap

Thats one awesome looking cook, I really like that grill

Thats one awesome looking cook, I really like that grill

Thanks Titch - kinda wish I had this back in Melbourne and could have had you over. You could have taught me a thing or 3.

Loving everything about your post!

Open fire Santa Maria-style cooking is a delicious and fun way to cook and entertain!

Did you land on a name for that beauty?

Great cook NoOne

The crust on the beef looks spectacular, and the chile rellenos are mouth watering.

:clap2:

Back