Gas Smokers - I have no clue. Any advice? Lots of questions!

GLOCKer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Long story short:
I participated with a team of novices in our first ever KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition in the backyard category and our team won Grand Champion! One of our prizes was a 36" Landmann vertical gas smoker; we had a lottery to see which of the six team members would get to take it home and I won it!

My experience smoking has all been with charcoal. I started on a tiny little Brinkman Smoke N' Grill about three years ago. Last year I ditched that little thing for a Vision S-Series Professional kamado grill. For our comp, we used two Weber Smokey Mountain smokers.

I've never had any experience with a gas smoker!

My plan is to bring this thing into where I work. Sometimes after some of our firearms classes, we have cook-outs on the firing range. I could potentially set up overnight cooks with this thing and come to work in the mornings to foil the meat and toss it in a cooler to keep it warm until lunch.

Typically, what is the lowest temp you can smoke with on one of these things? I could see putting some pork shoulders on between 1630 to 1700 before I leave for the day, but I typically don't get into work in the mornings until 0720. I am looking at a potential 14 to 15 hour smoke time. Would this be too long on a gas smoker? Would I have water pan issues on a long unattended smoke like this? (Don't want the meat drying out!)

As for chicken, how quickly can I run a couple of chickens on a gas smoker and still get a decent tasting bird? I wanna say I'm doing chickens between four to six hours on my kamado smoker. Is three to four hours unrealistic? I'm thinking if it's possible, I can pre-prep chickens for the smoker and then throw them on as soon as I get to work in the morning and have them ready for lunch. What temperature would you guys recommend I run the smoker at?

Does anybody have any general tips on how to run one of these things?

Are there any good modifications to consider? (I thinking about having a simple cart fab'ed up so we can wheel it around our shoothouse to keep it out of the way).

Here is the smoker in question:
http://www-landmann-usa-com.filesusr.com/html/e609ce_b702048af71738d1e876a5382dfeb9c9.html#!/36-Vertical-Gas-Smoker/p/53810318/category=14204194

Thank you!

I have a landmann. It's ok and makes good BBQ. Couple issues I had were oversmoked flavor from smoldering wood and the temp would rise 25-50 degrees after the water pan went dry. The water pan that comes with it is huge but it will run dry after 8-10 hours. Also I started pulling the chip pan around 3-4 hours of smoke. Once you get used to how it cooks it will do a great job. Mine just sits now until it's time to hang sausage or smoke cheese (winter months). I run an amazing pellet tube under the water pan full of ice in the cooler months for cheese. The stock regulator on the smoker's base is junk. I would literally have to open the door and watch the flame to see if I was producing the flame I wanted. I ended up putting a needle valve in the propane whip and using that to control tempatures. Just leave the regulator on high and gate down the gas with the needle valve. I have had mine gated all the way down to a steady 145* to make sausage but then it wouldn't smolder wood, again used the amazing pellet tube.

They are no good. Send it to me for proper disposal! But seriously,

I do the gas grill thing big time but I've heard the smokers work well too. Propane burner, smoke and water pans, not seeing a prob.

Needle valve upgrade sounds like a big important consideration! I hate to ask, but can anybody point me in the right direction for the proper parts? (Maybe by way of Amazon?) I'd hate to blow up our training center! Something tells me that if I did that, I'd face reassignment to our jail! LOL

I have never had luck with gas smokers. I just don't think my heart was into it. Between having a pellet pooper, a couple of BGEs, a couple of Webers, the gasser just turned into a never used relic in the garage. I have used it as a warming box for some big cooks where I just kept it all the way down low and kept pans of food warm pre-party. But my gasser days are over. It wasn't her...it was me.

I don't know that it's a good idea to set a propane smoker up for an unattended overnight smoke at work. I have two gassers here at the house and will go off and leave them running for an hour or two now and then. And I'll do overnighters and catch some zzzzz's, but when doing that, I have low temp alarms to alert me if a burner goes out.

I don't know that it's a good idea to set a propane smoker up for an unattended overnight smoke at work. I have two gassers here at the house and will go off and leave them running for an hour or two now and then. And I'll do overnighters and catch some zzzzz's, but when doing that, I have low temp alarms to alert me if a burner goes out.

Ahhhh. Something I didn't consider. Well damn.

Back