Am I the only one...

Well that’s morbid as hell!? Did you know some one who died smoking bbq? That seems like a nightmare...

I see a lot of posts here about people wanting to open up full fledge restaurants, but what about specific catering for events? Made to order? Is catering just not a big money maker? It seems that would be the way to start off since you buy exactly what people order and you dont waste on non purchased goods. I have a buddy who is just getting into the catering business but he’s completely new. I am hoping he does well with his venture.

I do know a Resturant that closed unexpectedly after the chef/ owner jumped off the roof of the building that the Resturant was in.

I can also think of at least a half dozen Resturant’s that were closed as the owner was walked out in handcuffs. One was unique because the cops actually let everyone finish their meals before they locked the building up.

It's fun to dream about, sure. I think it's good to have ideas like that. My sister-in-law always tells me that I should get a food truck. I know my food is nowhere near the standards I'd want to do that, and I don't want to be worried about the income. I applaud those that go for it, but I'm happy with my salary job, and cooking for fun.

But then you there are days like today, where this girl was insisting that I'm going to cook for her wedding. She literally met me today, and has had my smoked queso and smoked deviled eggs. Sorry girl, you're nice and all-but I do this for fun, and want to keep it that way.

I have super mixed feelings on the show itself. Years ago when it was still new, we tried several of the places while traveling. Half of them were certainly amazing, and the other half were GIANT letdowns.

I also think he is way over the top, and super annoying, and way past played out.

But then lately, I keep hearing him on podcasts or interviews or things like Hot Ones. I even think someone here posted about him being out at Operation BBQ Relief. I think his gimmick has served him WELL, and that's not really him, and he's being working hard to use his current position to help many people.

I wanted to not like the guy, from the 'flavortown' stuff...but I can't not respect him.

Seem to me Triple D is a scout program for Restaurant Impossible.

We probably all have dreams of opening a small place or doing some catering. It's why we're here. In reality it's a very hard business and you have to be a businessman first.

I worked in a restaurant in my University days. Loved it. Still the best job I even had. If I wanted to work in a restaurant now I'd be earning less than half of what I'm on now for 12 hours a day for sure.

If I owned a restaurant I'd be one of those fellas that would not last a year. I'm not a good businessman and I'm too kind. Staff would get away with not doing the job properly.

I see myself in Tripple D making something delicious. Then I see myself in Restaurant Impossible getting yelled at by Robert Irvine for all the same reasons he yells at those poor buggers in such dire financial trouble.

No thanks. Keep it as a hobby. If everyone tells you to open a restaurant, ask them for $50,000 no strings attached. See how that works out.:hand:

I have super mixed feelings on the show itself. Years ago when it was still new, we tried several of the places while traveling. Half of them were certainly amazing, and the other half were GIANT letdowns.

I also think he is way over the top, and super annoying, and way past played out.

But then lately, I keep hearing him on podcasts or interviews or things like Hot Ones. I even think someone here posted about him being out at Operation BBQ Relief. I think his gimmick has served him WELL, and that's not really him, and he's being working hard to use his current position to help many people.

I wanted to not like the guy, from the 'flavortown' stuff...but I can't not respect him.

+1! I learned the hard way that being on DD&D does not mean that the Resturant has good food. I also found out that being the host of a cooking show does not mean your food tastes good. Jack McDavid used to co host grilling and chilling so I decided to try his hometown diner in philly. The meal was mostly salt and was dripping with fat, I also tried his ribs at the state bbq competition and they wouldn’t even be considered decent backyard BBQ!

To counter that I will say that I went to an event where Emeril Lagasse was cooking. Emril is the real deal and can really cook!!!

I watch triple D all the time and it makes me want to be in guys shoes and taste all the food not open a shop!

Sounds like your romancing the store!
If you love 12 - 16 hr work days, marginal profits for some undefined period, snotty nosed, entitled little snowflake employees.
How about finding the kind of place your dreaming about and work there for a year and see if it's a fit for you .
Ed
You nailed that one!!! Well put!

Ex's parents owned a few successful Italian restaurants in the Detroit area. Never more than one at a time because my FIL didn't trust anyone. Both of them were excellent cooks. Made their own pasta.

All four of their kids and some their cousins worked in the restaurants for various amounts of time. None of them had interest in going into the restaurant business later in life, though my BIL once suggested the wyff and I should open a breakfast place. Wife was talented in the kitchen and I'm no slouch. But, I have zero experience in restaurants and we had four kids so that notion, though interesting, went out the window quickly.

There were a couple funny/weird stories from times the ex and her siblings worked in the restaurants. BIL supposedly sat up in bed one night and was spinning a pizza in his sleep. Ex said she waited a family in a booth. Their 5-6 year old was eating pizza then the mom started breast feeding him.

Yup fan of the show however no desire to enter the business other than as a patron.

Back