deconstructed turkey

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I like turkey. I buy extra frozen birds at Thanksgiving when they are cheap. I bought the Ken onion sharpener and figured breaking a bird down would be a good test of how sharp my knife got.

about a 12 lbs bird I think

I ended up separating into breast fillets, tenderloins,drums, whole wings, and trimmed the thighs like competition chicken.

it snowed all day, first real accumulation of the year. the pit boss performed well in the weather.

I did the thighs comp style.....it didn't turn out well

I did habanero death dust on the wings, they were good but not better than chicken wings with hdd. the tenderloins were spogos and made a nice pitmaster snack

I dry brined the boneless breast fillets with harvest brine and used the pit boss' sear zone to direct grill them. I made a homemade gravy and served with stuffing and green beans....it was like a mini Thanksgiving dinner.

I did the drumsticks festival style and cured them for the next day. first time I've done this, very good and will do again. I rubbed them with oakridge game bird before cooking.

Next time, instead of deconstructing it, try deboning it instead. That's on my list of things to try.

Back