First brisket in the morning

lacajunman

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
So I'm gunna light the UDS at about 5 am. This will be my first venture with a brisket. Company will be at the house at around 6 pm. I'm going with oak wood and kingsford briquettes. I'm gunna use some "Slap Yo Mama" for my rub. Plan on running at 250 degrees with a diffuser. Wrap in foil at 165 and run to 200, and rest for a while in a dry cooler. Win lose or draw, I will post some pics. Good luck to me.

165 is ok to wrap but I would say look at the brisket around 160-165 and if it has the bark and color you want then wrap, otherwise wait a little longer. People generally wrap around 160 to help push through the "stall" if I like the look of my brisket and it stalls then I just crank up the heat a little bit to help it take off. Your 165 is normally a good point to wrap though.

It was weird the other day....I did that 20lb brisket and it went to 180 and then stopped for a LOOOOOng time. Came out fine by waiting it out... Good luck......

I like temp as a guide but also check for doneness with how smooth the probe goes in and out. When it slides in with very little resistance it is done. I like the probe into a ripe avocado feel analogy.

Yeah, I've read that experienced cookers go all by feel. Hopefully I will get there also. I will make sure to pay attention to my probe at different temps.

This is MUCH easier

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

I'm going to be doing my first brisket here in a few weeks (Memorial Day weekend) too. Really interested to hear how yours turns out and what you'd do differently, if anything.

So, it's been on 4 hrs. Internal on flat is 160 already. Should I pull and wrap and put back on? I'm not serving until 6, will I finish too soon? A little anxiety here!

So, it's been on 4 hrs. Internal on flat is 160 already. Should I pull and wrap and put back on? I'm not serving until 6, will I finish too soon? A little anxiety here!
Wrap when the bark is where you want it..

Finishing early (if it does) is good cause you'll be able to rest it. I rested a brisket in a cooler for 3 hours this weekend and was great..think of it as a spa for the meat :biggrin1: Before rest though, slightly unwrap and let it vent for about 15-20 so it stops cooking. Some may suggest letting it come down to a specific IT

You might be surprised how much longer it will take to get to probe tender.

What temp are you cooking at?

Last edited:
235-250
I think it's gunna be ok. Looks awesome so far. Do I have to wrap or can I just let it go until 200-205 IT (probe tender)?

I haven't used an UDS before but the only way to raise temperature is to increase fire/burn. There are 2 ways to do that:

1. Add more fuel (i.e. charcoal).
2. Add more air if there is already enough charcoal.

Probably not going to get much more smoke at this point. If you haven't been able to raise the temp by now, I'd say you could cheat and finish in the oven.

This is MUCH easier

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Would wrapping in foil be the same?

Back