Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chili Mix Ingredients

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've never used it but want to start mixing my own spice kit for chili. The spice kit is just that....spices. Everyone adds their own meats, and other things for their chili but I'm tired of the store bought mixes.
This is supposed to be what's in the package for 2# of meat.
• 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 2 tablespoons masa
• 2 teaspoons dehydrated onion
• 1/2 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
• 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
I'll probably eliminate the salt and add that separately but it looks like something basic to start with. I think I can mix a batch and keep it for quite awhile in a vacuum sealed Mason jar.
Any thoughts on the ingredients and amounts?

I use the things on that list- excepting the dried onion, garlic (I like fresh on those) plus a few not on your list. But I could not tell you to the measure of what goes in my pot. I just take from the spice containers what I want in dribs and drabs until I'm satisfied.

I don't make chili often enough to warrant a jar of seasoning mix. If I leave them in their individual containers, I can use them for whatever dish I'm making.

Make up a small one # batch with your list- see how it tastes. If you have to add more of x, y or z- just keep track of it in the margins. Let us know how it worked out for you.

Recipe looks fine, just make sure you use plain chili powder, not a blend, which will have a lot of the spices and seasonings in the recipe you listed. Also, use the highest quality chili powder you can get your hands on.

Another option would be to make your own fresh chili powder using a blend of dried chilies. It won't add much more time to the process and will be well worth the minimal effort. Alton Brown has a recipe for homemade chili powder that is very good from what I've heard.

I agree with Moose on the chili powder bit with the following caveat - I like to use chili powder from various chilies for different flavors/heat (guajillo, ancho, New Mexico, arbol). I typically tweak the chili with the individual chilies based on how it's all fitting together as it cooks.

I'm strange. It's OK. Just another suggestion/idea for your proverbial toolbox.

I have used that one and the Carroll Shelby kit many times. Both are always awesome, but I don't use all the salt, and never use masa in my chili.

Back