Donnielehmkuhl

Found some matches.
Reaction score
It started on a cold Wyoming morning, I had spent half the night watching bbq videos on youtube the night before. As I awoke mouth watering I knew I was going to try my hand at smoking. I head down to the local store, get my self two beautiful racks of ribs, some nice smoking wood and a bag of charcoal. I get home and make a dry rub of garlic, onion, paprika, chili, chili flake brown sugar, salt, pepper, and celery salt and let these bad boys sit in the fridge for two hours. I then begin to make a bbq sauce i want something tangy and spicy so combine ketchup, white vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, 5 yellow hot peppers and some Worcestershire sauce. I let reduce then throw in the blender to chop up the peppers. The beauty that came from that sauce was one to die for. Then pre heating my "smoker" begins. Now this is my first time smoking. I don't own an official smoker and i don't even own a charcoal grill! So I gutted the inside of my gas grill, because you wanna know what? I wanted to try some amazing smoked ribs. I throw those bad boys on and let them smoke for four hours with the occasional turn here and there for even cooking. Oh the beauty i have tried some amazing foods in my life and this by far was the best thing i have ever put into my mouth. I instantly fell in love, now every Sunday you can drive by my house and i will be out front smoking away on my engineered gas grill. But its not enough for me oh dear god no, I want to smoke bigger and better things but i am limited by my tiny "smoker." So i have decided to build a double barrel smoker so to smoke things like legs of lamb, a whole pig, or multiple briskets at a time. But i need advice lots of it what pointers and tips could you guys give to a first time smoker like myself, and first time smoker builder. Any help and advice would be oh so greatly appreciated!!!

The only advice I have is run the other way before you cant anymore...

Welcome...you sound like you will fit right in! :wink:

Welcome brother!!

My suggestion is to start slow. Some of my bigger purchasing regrets were when I jumped the gun bigtime before I knew exactly what I wanted.

You might pick yourself up a weber smokey mountain. These things are fantastic, and can be used when you don't need to cook for 15+ people. They'll still fit two briskets without any problem.

It's a fantastic hobby! Your friends and family will love you for it too.

Hello and welcome, you might want to just start out by just making a UDS more simple for starters. There are plenty of threads here about them. Just use the search bar at the bottom of the page here.

Welcome to the best place on the. Internet. If ya have questions, do a search first, because nearly every possible question has been asked already. If that doesn't work, just ask. Folks are happy to help.

Also, you did a great introduction, but consider going over to, "Cattle Call," which is where introductions are usually made. A different set of folks may see ya there. Either way, we are glad you're here. Get ready to learn what a BBQ addiction is.

Welcome, you are going to love it here. The Brethren and the Sisteren are wonderful, helpful people. You will also prolly gain weight!

I decided to go big my first time! Use the Calculator... Feldon's I think? That's sad I can't remember the name... I'll hit my own head guys!

Go slow...watch plenty of YouTube... and get plenty of sleep! This will consume you if you let it! I know it did me!

Everyone sounds so helpful

I have been living on this site the last few days i can see why peoples lifes get consumed by this this weekend i am going to make a chipotle brisket for some tacos whish me luck guys i am going to take some pictures and keep you posted !!

You have decided not to fight it. Good decision. The addiction has already started. All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive. Make your time.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back