New skoker Idea?

kitts21

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok, so I get to work tonight, and like every weekend I need to walk past the metal dumpster. For those who work around any jobs that require a metal dumpster you know what I'm talking about. For those who don't, you can find all sorts of goodies in a metal dumpster. So anyway I see this sitting next to it waiting to be thrown out.
1126112003-00.jpg

It is a small freezer, Could this be turned into a nice smoker? I have visions in my head as I type this, but I just want to know if it's possible. Any ideas for the build?

I know a lot of people have made smokers out of the old metal fridges and freezers....but the newer ones that have plastic, like this does in the lid ( and who knows where else that might heat up) would concern me. Just my .02

I know what you mean. I stay on our work mechanics good side. I've gotten all of my UDS barrels from them. We're getting new gurneys soon, and I've already put in my request for an old one. I envision some sort of UDS cart.

There are several posts here about making freezers/refridgerators into smokers. I believe most folks just use a hot plate and a skillet filled with wood chips. I could be wrong, but I believe they're mainly used for cold smoking. Either way, nice score!

Matt

You could turn that into a really nice high capacity cold smoker system without a lot of effort.

You could turn that into a really nice high capacity cold smoker system without a lot of effort.
Could you elaborate on this? I might go that route after reading some of the other threads about it.

Could you elaborate on this? I might go that route after reading some of the other threads about it.

Here's an automated way to turn that into a cold smoker:

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/

There are quite a few other options... just do a google search on cold smoke generators and see what comes up. You could create duct work and flow smoke in from a fire as well if you wanted to...

Back