butcher bbq review with lots of pron

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I found an 11# packer to try the Butcher BBQ marinade on
IMG_1082.jpg

Maybe you can see it says "select" on the label
IMG_1083.jpg

but it says "choice" on the cry o vac! SCORE:)
IMG_1084.jpg

vac u sucked the other half of the mix since it's made for 2 briskets
IMG_1085.jpg

and then trimmed the brisket up to get rid of a lot of the fat.
IMG_1090.jpg

I mixed the marinade up about 8 hours earlier like EarlyBird said and refrigerated it. It was nice and thick at injection time
IMG_1093.jpg

I injected the brisket at 8 PM and plan to put it on the UDS at midnight
IMG_1094.jpg

I'm gonna use Heffer Dust from brother SpiceWine for my rub and plain Kingsford(notice the random k's:biggrin:) and a couple chunks of Pecan for the smoke

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

So, anything I should do different so far?

Throw another piece of wood in there. Since you asked.

Now i ask, what you mix the Butchers with?

I almost put another piece in, but I've been accused of using more than I should some times:icon_blush:

I mixed 3/8's cup of the marinade with 1/2cup apple juice and 1/2 cup water. Really thought about beef broth instead of AJ but went with it in the end.

That should only be the start of your pics. Keep us up to date.

Somebody's got tomorrow off? :twisted:

If you use beef broth, go light. I've found broth to stain and then you have dark spots where the needle was.

Good looking packer.

Somebody's got tomorrow off? :twisted:

Unfortunately not:icon_blush: I have a meeting at 7:30:rolleyes: Here's where we are now.

decided to add another chunk of wood for DaleP and made it cherry for Scott
IMG_1100.jpg

fired it up in the chimney with about 25 coals and let the smoker come up to temp for about and hour
IMG_1102.jpg

rubbed the brisket with Heffer Dust. It had a nice glaze on it from the injection that held the rub well
IMG_1106.jpg

Put the brisket in and am going to turn in for a few hours.
IMG_1108.jpg

Looking good, be sure to show the final product. I use the same cherry wood and like it a lot!

Not quite sure why you're putting wood in the chimney. Seems to me you would burn that piece out getting the cooker up to temp.?.

Checked the smoker at 5:30 and the temp had dropped slightly, so I bumped the firebox to get rid of the ash and it came right back uo. I just pulled the brisket and foiled it at 160*. Sorry no pic, batteries went dead. I'll pick some more up when I go out to my meeting and have finished photos later this morning. So far it is looking and smelling great.:cool:

Sounds good CS. See if you can find a way to give us a wiff of the brisky when you put up the pics.:mrgreen:

Well.... how'd it turn out? Do you normally cook your brickets to 160*? Or did you foil it and then put back on at 160*? Looking forward to more Pron!

OK. I got back from my meeting and pulled the brisket at 8:30. It went a little long and then I let it rest for 3 hours in the towel lined cooler which got it a little overdone. The taste is fabulous and is by far the juiciest brisket I have ever cooked. I highly recommend the Butcher's BBQ marinade and will use it on all my briskets from now on:cool:. Finished pron:-D

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Great looking brisket....I have one ready to go, might have to try the marinade on my next one sounds like it did the trick.

If you use beef broth, go light. I've found broth to stain and then you have dark spots where the needle was.

Good looking packer.

I usually use Beef Stock instead of Broth, it's lighter in color plus it has less salt..I don't know if you tasted the marinade, but the BBQ is pretty salty by itself..

OK. I got back from my meeting and pulled the brisket at 8:30. It went a little long and then I let it rest for 3 hours in the towel lined cooler which got it a little overdone. The taste is fabulous and is by far the juiciest brisket I have ever cooked. I highly recommend the Butcher's BBQ marinade and will use it on all my briskets from now on:cool:. Finished pron:-D

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

You nailed it!!! Way to go. I could tell from the second picture that it was tender by the way the slices were laying. That looks like a Butcher brisket to me.

Back