Myron Mixon V9 or Stumps XL Baby?

Muirtcc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm upgrading from my BGE to increase capacity and am having trouble deciding between these 2 gravity fed smokers. Both are about the same price/capacity. Both look to be pretty high quality with good reputations. I've found more reviews on the Stumps but am leaning towards the Myron Mixon at this time because, based on the pictures, it looks to have slightly better quality components. However, that could just be the pics. Does anyone have any hands on experience with these smokers that can add any insight? More specifically the Myron Mixon V9 or V20? I can't find much on the Mixon smokers but any info on either would be greatly appreciated.

I can't talk to the Myron Mixon smokers, but I have a Stumps Classic, and it's a beast. Built really solid, all quality components, and I think the fact that Stumps has been around for a long time is a point in their favor.

What would be the advantage of a GF vs a firebox blelow like an LSG IVC, and others like it

AF6D8E37-5128-473D-85FC-918C72A49C1D_zpsyxhwiblr.jpg

What would be the advantage of a GF vs a firebox blelow like an LSG IVC, and others like it

AF6D8E37-5128-473D-85FC-918C72A49C1D_zpsyxhwiblr.jpg

Gravity feds can be easier to load more charcoal depending on who you ask. I've had both and reloading for a gravity fed is easier for me. Also the way heat comes in is typically different. My gravity fed heat came from the bottom and my backwoods heat comes from the top.

I've seen a couple of the Myron Mixon smokers in person, and they seemed to be really well built, but I know the Stumps are built very well also. I suppose it would come down to price/size and go from there. I did see a used Deep South GC28 for sale in Sarasota for a steal of a price ($3000). If that's in the budget I'd HIGHLY recommend looking at that one.

I personally love the set up of the Stumps Baby XL and can't imagine how it could be built any better or with better craftsmanship. The materials used are all very high quality and it appears very well insulated. I believe the Baby XL weighs 600+ pounds. Also, mine has a paint job like a Rolls Royce. It comes with a stainless steel catch pan and a heavy duty cover.

The volume of meat you can cook at one time is incredible and the cook temperature consistency is impressive. The gravity fed fuel compartment (major selling point) holds enough lump for over a 12 hour low and slow cook. Wood chunks can be easily added below the burn area where fire ambers fall into a pan and will ignite the wood for smoke. It has transformed a hack like myself into a pretty good Q'er.

I had an issue with a damaged caster and a minor scratch upon delivery. It was not their fault but rather the freight forwarder. I sent them an email describing my issues the day after receiving the smoker and they contacted me by phone 9am the following morning and immediately resolved these minor issues to my complete satisfaction. Most importantly, Stumps customer service is rock solid.

I'm sure the same can be said for Myron Mixon smokers and either choice will be a home run on your dinner table.

Both are top quality products. You would not be disappointed with either. Before you decide you might want to take a look at Assassin Smokers. The quality is right there on par with Stumps but Assassin gives you more features standard rather than extra options. I know the folks at Stumps & Assassin personally & you won't find better, more dedicated people to deal with than at these two companies.

www.assassin-smokers.com

If I was going Gravity Fed., Assassin would be my choice for sure after my research. Due to my need of an absolute set it / forget it smoker with no chance of issues, I chose to order an LSG IVC. Which may now have to be put on hold or cancelled due to breaking my wrist and going to miss out on about $3500, which is what I was using to purchase it with :/

Take a look at Assassin. They wete great to talk with for sure.

If I was going Gravity Fed., Assassin would be my choice for sure after my research. Due to my need of an absolute set it / forget it smoker with no chance of issues, I chose to order an LSG IVC. Which may now have to be put on hold or cancelled due to breaking my wrist and going to miss out on about $3500, which is what I was using to purchase it with :/

Just tell Chris at LSG what has happened. He will work with you. Don't give up your dream even for a moment.

Sorry to hear this brother. I pray that everything works out.

can not speak on the Mixon but Stump build a quality smoker and lets you get some sleep and will own one again soon .

Much thanks!

Appreciate all of the input. Still undecided! But seems like I can't go wrong with either. I'll definitely check out the assassins as well. Big thanks to all!

I looked at all the Myron Mixon Gravity feed and decided on the V33 just for the fact of the capacity when I do vending. It's basically double the size of the V20 but only a little more in cost. If your are doing comps with it, I would go with the V20, V9 may be alittle small. I love the gravity feed feature. The V20 was designed specifically for comps by Myron & Tuffy. I've had mine since March, cooked 7 comps on it and love it.

Gravity feds can be easier to load more charcoal depending on who you ask. I've had both and reloading for a gravity fed is easier for me. Also the way heat comes in is typically different. My gravity fed heat came from the bottom and my backwoods heat comes from the top.

This has always been an interesting topic as I can't figure out why some people like to say gravity feeds are easier. Personally I don't see the advantage. People talk about easier to reload the gravity feed unit, my reverse flow insulated cabinet will burn 30+ hours before the basket needs to be reloaded therefor I've never had to reload the basket during a cook. On the gravity fed units most are adding wood during their cooks by placing the wood in the ash pan periodically whereas I just put my chunks in the basket and don't have to fiddle with adding wood or even think about having to open the firebox door during the entire cook. I've never had to worry about bridging of fuel as some have experience with a gravity fed unit as well. I've also read numerous posts on how some users of the gravity fed units don't use the bottom position rack as it's too hot.
To each their own I guess?

This has always been an interesting topic as I can't figure out why some people like to say gravity feeds are easier. Personally I don't see the advantage. People talk about easier to reload the gravity feed unit, my reverse flow insulated cabinet will burn 30+ hours before the basket needs to be reloaded therefor I've never had to reload the basket during a cook. On the gravity fed units most are adding wood during their cooks by placing the wood in the ash pan periodically whereas I just put my chunks in the basket and don't have to fiddle with adding wood or even think about having to open the firebox door during the entire cook. I've never had to worry about bridging of fuel as some have experience with a gravity fed unit as well. I've also read numerous posts on how some users of the gravity fed units don't use the bottom position rack as it's too hot.
To each their own I guess?

This was exactly my point and the reason I choose the LSG. I don't have experience with either (yet) but I'm a common sense kinda guy. From my studies, the LSG design (or others like it) seems to be easiest and most maintenance free design.

I would look at assassin smokers. There built the same but Jeff offers a lot more for a cheaper price. Good luck on your decision

Back