Pitmaster IQ 130 vs WiFi temperature controller

camroncook79

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am currently running a Kamado Joe Big Joe (KJBJ) with an IQ 110 temperature controller and a Maverick ET 733 digital thermometer. I do a decent amount of long cooks (12-18) hours for boston butt and brisket with excellent results. I have no problems manually keeping temps on my KJBJ but sleep better with a temperature controller. I also like to play a round of golf up the road from me while it smokes and I don't want to bother my wife to keep track of temps or make adjustments. I like the new IQ 130 but it does not have WiFi. I'm on the fence whether to forego WiFi and get the 130 or go WiFi with a Stoker, Flame Boss, or CyberQ. Maybe I should just hold out and pray for the IQ 140 with wifi or hope they add support for Bluetooth to a P.C. and use Team Viewer for remote access. Any thoughts?

I'm happy with my CyberQ Wifi, but I don't use it with a kamado-style cooker and I haven't used any of the IQ products so I can't do a comparison.

Just remember that you will have to do some config work on your home router to make any wifi temp controller accessible from the internet. It's not hard to do, but it isn't automatic and the exact steps depend on which router you have.

I have a IQ 110 that I use occasionally on my WSM, I have no problem going to the beach for a surf or running errands. As long as I have enough fuel it will keep it close enough to the set temp. If I ever do upgrade which as of now I don't see a reason to I would go with Wifi also.

I have a CyberQ and love it. Used an IQ120 for a while but needed more food probes. Find the CyberQ fits the bill just right with having 3 of them. I dont run on KJBJ so cant speak to using anything on it but IMO, the CyberQ is the way to go. Pair that with the Pit Pal app and you got a winning combo

I'm happy with my CyberQ Wifi, but I don't use it with a kamado-style cooker and I haven't used any of the IQ products so I can't do a comparison.

Just remember that you will have to do some config work on your home router to make any wifi temp controller accessible from the internet. It's not hard to do, but it isn't automatic and the exact steps depend on which router you have.

There is no doubt that CyberQ will do a good job, but please note that Flame Boss 200 setup is different than your CyberQ. Flame Boss 200 uses a cloud based implementation. It does not normally require any router configuration. Just select your home network from a list and enter your password and it connects to our servers. Configuration is only required if security settings block access to our servers.

There is no doubt that CyberQ will do a good job, but please note that Flame Boss 200 setup is different than your CyberQ. Flame Boss 200 uses a cloud based implementation. It does not normally require any router configuration. Just select your home network from a list and enter your password and it connects to our servers. Configuration is only required if security settings block access to our servers.

Thanks for the info! Will it still work if an internet connection is not available?

Also, is an account on your servers required and is there any additional cost. What type of connection is used between the Flame Boss and your servers?

Thanks for the info! Will it still work if an internet connection is not available?

Also, is an account on your servers required and is there any additional cost. What type of connection is used between the Flame Boss and your servers?

No, the Flame Boss will not connect to your phone without an internet connection. Of course it will still work like normal (controlling you're pit) locally.

An account is required on the FB site but there is no cost.

The Flame Boss setup is as easy as selecting your network then entering your password.

The good thing is you can take it with you to a friends house (ie. he and his wife have you and yours over for dinner and drinks). To connect to his wifi you wont need to dig into his router settings. Instead, select his network and enter his password and you're off to the races!

No, the Flame Boss will not connect to your phone without an internet connection. Of course it will still work like normal (controlling you're pit) locally.

An account is required on the FB site but there is no cost.

The Flame Boss setup is as easy as selecting your network then entering your password.

The good thing is you can take it with you to a friends house (ie. he and his wife have you and yours over for dinner and drinks). To connect to his wifi you wont need to dig into his router settings. Instead, select his network and enter his password and you're off to the races!

Thanks... That means it won't work at a competition, which is mainly where I use the CyberQ. If I want a controller that works standalone I'd have a DigiQ :-D

Thanks... That means it won't work at a competition, which is mainly where I use the CyberQ. If I want a controller that works standalone I'd have a DigiQ :-D

You could use the FB at competitions just not wirelessly...unless you used your phone's 4G as a hot spot which would be very easy. :becky:

Thank you for all of the input. I think I might have found a solution that should work with the IQ 130. As it turns out my wife has a tablet she doesn't use so being a big fan of the Pitmaster line I am going to try Bluetoothing to that as most of my use will be around the house, then linking my phone to the tablet using Team Viewer for remote use while I golf. I will post the results when I get it set up. If that works sketchy I will have to go with the Flame Boss 200 as it seems to suit my application the best from what I am hearing here. I have been in contact with Pitmaster and they said that the next qsmart update will have the ability to log and display cook information and that they are exploring a PC app as well as a Bluetooth to WiFi bridge that will hit the market soon but they did not make any promises when or if remote access would become available natively. Thanks again guys.

In my opinion Pitmaster has the smartest design for temperature controllers out there right now being a completely self contained unit that is simple to set up and use but they need to step it up on the tech side to keep up with the features their competitors are offering.

Back