brisket cook.. start time..rest time

�� no crap from me bro. I’m not sensitive or in touch with my feelings, when it comes to fire, smoke, and meat ! I have worked my share of midnight shifts so I’m definitely game for doing one in the name of Bar-b-que. Brisket is expensive and 10-12 hrs is a long time to invest so if a long rest give me the best chance at a great Brisket, might as well go for it, because I ain’t cooking another one for a while. So when I started planning I realized I would have to cook overnight to serve it for dinner the next day. I’m game to try but is it really worth it? Otherwise I’ll start at 4am, done by 4pm, rest for 3hrs and serve at 7p.

That sounds perfect to me, but I think you may be cutting it closer than you may want, while getting the hang of it. The size of brisket matters too. I typically allow an hour for offset smoker to get up to temp, about 15 minutes in the SRG-400. But 4:00 - 4:00 is more than respectable. I'm thinking the meat changes over a long hold time, if not, then why do it? It's a matter of what you are looking for. I'm from Texas and learned to cook there. No expert, just familiar with friends/family way of doing things. As a frame of reference, I don't like my ribs "fall off the bone tender", and like my brisket with some body to the bite. I think cooking a brisket without holding it is achievable. Not only have cooking techniques changed, so have the animals at time of "harvest".

Haven't cooked on the offset since last year, now I'm inspired. Let us know how it goes.

That baby does look tender and moist. Great smoke ring too ! And u let it rest in the Cambro for about 4hrs huh. What did you wrap with? Did u leave it wrapped in the Cambro? Did u let it cool down before before resting in Cambro or just put it straight in?

I smoke on the grate. When I wrap, I put in an aluminum pan and wrap the top in foil. When it is done, I slide the whole aluminum pan in the Cambro and lay a towel on top to help insulate a little more.

U wrap yours in foil or paper during the hold?

Foil

Ok..Myron Mixon style huh. He uses a foil pan too. I have wrapped in foil and wrapped in paper once. I thought the foil was better even tho butcher paper took the world by storm after Franklin became the brisket king a few years back. I haven’t tried a pan before but it always seemed like a good idea to me.

Back