Smoked Fish

bbqoaf

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Has anyone smoked fish on their Bradley Smoker? The owner of a local deli advised that doing fish on the smoker can create an unpleasant bitter/sour flavor in your smoker that will carry over into everything you smoke. Does anyone know if this is true? I really want to smoke some salmon but I do not want to ruin my baby.

Also, any tips on smoking fish in general? Any particular types that are great?

Thanks and regards,
BBQOaf

I have a Big Chief and smoke alot of salmon, 20 plus fish a summer. I have only used my Big Chief for salmon, so do not know if it adds a bitter or sour flavor to other products, but I don't believe that it would, as long as you wash your grates/trays etc.

I have tried many different brines both wet and dry, and my favorite is a simple 1kg of demera sugar to 1 cup of coarse salt, and then you can add any other flavour profiles you like, such as chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, pepper etc. I usually brine for a min of 12 hrs, then rinse off the brine and let air dry for a couple of hours on the counter (until the fish becomes tacky), then smoke with either apple or cherry for about 2 hours (for me 3 pans of chips) then let it finish with out smoke until firm, which is usually 6-8hrs total. Once off the smoker I like to glaze with honey or real Maple syrup.

If you have any other questions feel free to Private message me.

I use my Bradley to smoke all kinds of fish, sausage, pork hocks, etc... and have never had any problems. I do wash the racks after each smoke, but that's it.

okay, I have to ask: how do you like your Bradley smokers? I've been thinking of picking one up or buying the smoke mechanism to do fish and sausage.

The deli guy is either allergic to fish or addicted to crack. Never had any problems with off flavors. I clean off the grates when I'm done with fish though.

okay, I have to ask: how do you like your Bradley smokers? I've been thinking of picking one up or buying the smoke mechanism to do fish and sausage.

The Bradleys are great smokers for fish, cured meats amd sausage, and you are able to control the temp and amount of smoke very easily. My Big Chief does a great job, but I have to constantly check it regularily, while my neighbour with the bradley sets and forgets his.

Bradleys are about twice the price of my Big Chief, and if mine ever breaks down, I will probably upgrade to a Bradley.

I agree with JamieK,my Bradley does a great job. It is the 4 rack analog stainless model and I have a Smoke Daddy generator hooked up to it with a Auber PID and it is totally set it and forget it. It also works great for cold smoking, no complaints.

Back