Chicken: Crispy Skin Fail

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Every time I spatch cock a chicken on my WS 22, I can't get real crispy skin. the meat is very tender and has a slight smoke flavor. I cook between 385 and 420° until I reach internal temperature of 163°. What is the secret to getting crispy skin? I'm not using a water pan or a heat deflector.

maybe try skin side down for a while towards the end of your cook

I pat the skin dry with paper towels and then put the chicken on cooling racks in the frig for a few hours. Re dry with paper towel and hit it with a little spray on oil. If you want to really work hard take the skin off and scrape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I gave up trying to get crispy skin on my WSM 22. I just can't get it hot enough. I can't get more than about 280 for any length of time, unless I crack the lid, at which point the temp zooms up out of control quickly.

But if you're able to hold temps around 400, you should be able to get the skin crispy. I cook chicken on the gasser at 400 - 450, and the skin comes out as crispy as a pork rind.

I almost never cook chicken whole. In fact, I rarely even bother with breasts at all. Breasts have to come off at 160-165 IT, which means they aren't on long enough to get the skin really crispy. Thighs, on the other hand, need to be cooked to 180 - 190, which allows more time to crisp the skin.

I use a jaccard to perforate the skin

Id like for you to explain how you do this please. I cook a lot of chicken on my WSM especially wings. I'm wanting to perfect whole spatchcock chickens to where we got a little bit of crispy skin instead of having to rip it off and throw it in the trash.

Is this what you use?

bYg4ejB.jpg

You are definitely hot enough. Have you temped at grate level? How long does a spatchcock chicken take you? It should take 1.5-2 hours at that temp I'm guessing??

I do the pat dry thing, and then spray with duck fat or oil. You could also try drying over night uncovered in the fridge. Keep trying.... You're close!!!

Id like for you to explain how you do this please. I cook a lot of chicken on my WSM especially wings. I'm wanting to perfect whole spatchcock chickens to where we got a little bit of crispy skin instead of having to rip it off and throw it in the trash.

Is this what you use?

bYg4ejB.jpg

Yeah. I have been using it on chicken quarters and halves.

Marinate overnight, drain and put on racks in the fridge a few hours. Jaccard all the skin I can, then put on rub. I will hit with a little squeeze butter near the end of the cook.

Kinda PITA but bite through skin!

You can try dipping the whole chook into rolling boiling water for 30 seconds
hang for 5 minutes and do again
hang for 5 minutes to dry then cook
Like I did a Duck , here
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281464

. I have noticed that after drying the chicken with paper towels and dishcloths that after I apply the rub you will still see water seeping out of the chicken. I am definitely going to try this technique . I make my own bacon so I know all about drying inside the refrigerator uncovered. Thanks for sharing brother

Crispy, delicious chicken skin has been pretty elusive for me as well.

I have been using this method for spatchcocked birds lately that finally works consistently:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283095

IMG_6435_zpsdg29x4fp.jpg

Air drying the chicken really helps, in addition to applying rub right before I cook vs letting it sit for a while beforehand.

I’ll agree with the pat dry with a paper towel, etc...

I also lift the skin from the breast and thigh and put a heavy salt based seasoning on top, that separation always works for good skin. Sometimes I also will put a compound butter under the skin, and I get some great skin both ways.

I get good results salt brining it in the fridge for a few hours

I went way off script one time thinking about fried salmon and chicken skin. I removed the skin from the bird and stretched it out on a drying rack. The wife gave me a look of concern. I dried the skin, seasoned it, and put it in the broiler to crisp up. Served with cold beer. Kind of felt like Buffalo Bill...

Yaker

images

Back