Yet another kamado find.....

chagovatoloco

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I was given this old Kamado and its actually not very bad shape. The firebox is cracked but the egg and fire ring looks good, the exterior has a little chipping on one part but all in all it should fix up well.

I've wanted one for years and I will work with what I have, my question is the draft door on the bottom is just a block off, no sliding door. So how does that work? I guess I could just pivot it in there and somewhat adjust the air gap, but I dont think that will give me much control. I could drill it and add a sliding draft door, which is the way I'm leaning. But if I dont have to I'd rather not.

What was the intended use for the draft block off? Does anyone have the original instructions?

Also do you guys have any idea for a handle?
3af309ab3a3b5edad9a34e798c62b151.jpg
99253d6f9b53068177a600fadd36752b.jpg
5b0ac29d69600682da45a54cb410c131.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So I was given this old Kamado and its actually not very bad shape. The firebox is cracked but the egg and fire ring looks good, the exterior has a little chipping on one part but all in all it should fix up well.

I've wanted one for years and I will work with what I have, my question is the draft door on the bottom is just a block off, no sliding door. So how does that work? I guess I could just pivot it in there and somewhat adjust the air gap, but I dont think that will give me much control. I could drill it and add a sliding draft door, which is the way I'm leaning. But if I dont have to I'd rather not.

What was the intended use for the draft block off? Does anyone have the original instructions?

Also do you guys have any idea for a handle?
3af309ab3a3b5edad9a34e798c62b151.jpg
99253d6f9b53068177a600fadd36752b.jpg
5b0ac29d69600682da45a54cb410c131.jpg

I have one that's older then the ones you have. Same color. Love the original paint. Don't ever paint them. It takes away the "patina" look.

Mine doesn't have an adjustable vent either. It originally came with a ceramic plug that you could pull open to allow airflow. I use tinfoil and cardboard to adjust the airflow. I cut the cardboard to fit the hole and wrap it with tinfoil. Make it fit snug so you can adjust the opening to allow the amount of air you want. Works great. Next, get a thermometer that you can slide through the lid to keep an eye on your temperature. I cut a small slot in the gasket that seals the lid and slide it in there.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I could do the foil thing, I was just looking for something a little more conventional. What temp do these tend to run wide open, or maybe I should just regulate it with an adjustable cap.

You can buy a sliding door for it like they have on the newer models and you can get an adjustable top for it as well. I run mine at about 220. Any higher, it tends to scorch the meat because it's so close to the fire. I close both holes up quite a bit to achieve the temperature I want. Just know that overheating these old ones will cause them to crack. They were not ever ment for high temps.

Ya, low and slow is all I plan to do with this. The sliders I've noticed all have four holes where they are screwed on, mine does not. So I'm thinking I'll have to drill it to mount that kind of vent.

Here she sits now, I'm cleaning the hardware. I kind of like the way it looks on the cinder blocks, rustic and content. I am still at a loss for what to do with the air damn. I did order a daisy wheel cap for it and was playing around with the temp while curing the rutlands on the fire box, yup it was cracked, when I noticed I could flip the air dam door upside down and allow some air through the bottom. It was enough to get the temp at the top to read 350, and that was all the way at the top with just the temp probe dangling in. I'm thinking that I'll have a lot of control with the wheel and since this is a low temp grill the upside down trick may work. I also can place the block in sideways and block 50% of the hole, so I'm thinking that with a little creativity I can make the block work for me. But I can't be the only one who has tried this.
52a11b8b0795eeed96e3dfea3f529893.jpg
3fb1719f73a452b8dbfa99679edb5eee.jpg

Drill it and add a sliding draft door. I have the same Kamada you have. With the plug, the temp control is difficult. The sliding door makes temp control easier.

It's a myth that these old Kamados were never meant for high temps. I've had mine over 500 degrees many times and never a crack. The thing is, you have to bring it to temp gradually. If you "put the spurs" to a cold Kamado, then yes, you're probably going to crack it.

Don't try to control the temp by dampening the exhaust. The only time you dampen the exhaust is in an emergency, when temps get out of control.

I can grill on my Kamado, but I have another cooker for that. I can do low and slow on my Kamada, but I have two other cookers for that. Where it can't be beat is anything you want to cook at 350 degrees for an hour - chicken, tri-tip chuck, anything like that. The best chicken I ever cooked in my life came off the Kamado.

Larry S

Larry, thank you for your reply, I'm going to add a sliding draft door, it just seems like the natural progression. I drilled the top for a gauge today and it actually drills really nice.

I found the original instructions for the block draft door on the Naked Wiz website. They say to prop the door half way open, not much control. The instructions also included directions for height temp cooking, so I don't know what all this low temp or it'll crack stuff is about. It seems these were designed for semi high temp cooking, I would not try to go as high temp as a modern egg.

5e5d223ebf07043d0e42fbb10dc65de8.jpg

The only mod I would suggest is a heat deflector for indirect cooking, like a BGE convEGGtor. I use a foil covered terracotta dish.

Larry S

I use a foiled covered Pizza Stone Congrats I think you are really going to like it

These old kamados are made of clay. Modern copy cats are ceramic. The old kamados must be protected from the weather or they or they will melt like the wicked witch of the east.

The finish on my kamado was bad and had to be sealed. The only quality paint I had was Old Town canoe green.

When i'm taking a chicken or tri-tip or chuck roast off the pit and guests compliment me on my BGE I don't correct them.

Larry S

I was reading in the manual about how they recomend a clear coat, so I'm going to paint it to protect it. This one was outside for year, but luckily no damage, from now on it will be covered, like me other grills. The BGE lid fit fine and next will be the lower vent. It's running now to cook off the grills from the pickle bath and to bake in the paint on the hinge.

I might paint mine green, though my wife was thinking black. We'll see.....

I did my first cook on it today, all I can say is wow. It cooks quickly, the meat was really tender and a awesome flavor.

I made me a little h
Japanese handle, lol.

Still waiting for the draft door.
4b4c31ee66644c0e8c0c5a53546bcec7.jpg
da0cb2340290a9ddbd79e614e413216c.jpg

Last piece came in today, the modern sliding draft door. I know there's a debate but I want to use this and this makes it very user friendly. Just for the record this kamado drilled like butter, as long as you have a sharp bit. I worked in machine shops before the army, so sharpening as drill bit is second nature to me. Just a couple hits on the grinding wheel and it pulls right through.

I do have an air leak were the door meets the side of the egg, so I'm thinking either silicone or a gasket. Anyone have any ideas?

3898bd4151519f93dd8889598073b547.jpg
8d9a826d552b245dbe54a39683c8f8e7.jpg

Last piece came in today, the modern sliding draft door. I know there's a debate but I want to use this and this makes it very user friendly. Just for the record this kamado drilled like butter, as long as you have a sharp bit. I worked in machine shops before the army, so sharpening as drill bit is second nature to me. Just a couple hits on the grinding wheel and it pulls right through.

I do have an air leak were the door meets the side of the egg, so I'm thinking either silicone or a gasket.

BGE uses high heat silicone for their lower vents. That's what I've used when restoring my BGE Mini.

Well here she is, complete. The wife wanted pontiac blue, so happy wife happy.....you get it. I like it, I know I went modern with it, but I intended for it to get a lot of use.

I ended up sealing the draft door with Rutlands, because I had it and it was made for bonding masonry to steel. Next I'll cook it off a few times and this father's day it'll be cooking a tri tip.

d7637e3f25759dd36a4bd755a4579ec4.jpg

Back