THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tragedy has struck. Failure. I have my share of success stories. Hell, if you get in the batter's box enough you'll get hit with a pitch. I've been beaned right in the earhole.
Awakened 0430 to sip coffee, watch falling stars and smell hickory. The cooker was luke warm to touch. Opened lid no smoke. Touched the brisket and lukewarm. Thermapen in hand thickest part of flat felt raw and temped 117*. Thickest point was 157*
If you're familiar with the Oklhoma Joe's Bronco there is a nice deflection plate. Over time mine has become warped and quite a balancing act to sit on its ledge. Apparently it tweaked just enough and collapsed into the coals and snuffed the lump. Another thing I did was put a small split on top of the deflector plate because the fire was really going. Extra weight surely didn't help.
Multiple errors on my part led to a failure. I've known the defelector plate was in need of replacement or at least stand on it to bend back into shape.
Lost control of my scene and failed.
100% my fault

Takes a big person to admit fault. Proper self reflection is key to growth and success....blah blah blah. How did it turn out? (note i havent finished reading entire thread)

ok now i finished thread...tell me you didnt toss the expensive hunk away?

Not to kick a man when he's down, but the exact scenario you describe is why I always run a temp controller on overnight cooks that can alert me if there's a problem. One or two lost briskets covers most of the cost of a temp controller or wireless remote thermometer.

I've seen people take great pride in the fact that their cookers are "set it and forget it" (just saw it posted here the other day) and they don't need one of them thar temp controllers. I've always viewed them as an insurance policy not a crutch.

Sucks to lose some food, been there myself.

Derailleur in progress. Notice you sold your pellet grill. Are you leaving the pellet universe or obtaining another? If so just curious

As for my failed brisket, I apologize to the Bovine world for the waste. It really does sting, and it's all my fault. I knew the deflector was sketchy on the ledge. I've beaten myself up enough I'm black and blue on my cooking ego. Sucks

Derailleur in progress. Notice you sold your pellet grill. Are you leaving the pellet universe or obtaining another? If so just curious

I'm leaving it for now, I liked the Mak just fine but found it rarely made its way into the rotation anymore and the wife wanted a spot on the deck for a table and chair to sit outside and drink coffee.....I thought I'd concede the real estate so that her eyes dont turn towards all my other shenanigans. :becky:

^^^i screwed up^^^

However, I'm not a DA, my mother had me tested ;--))

Ok, I could not resist...this is just ribbing and not serious..but since you were licking your wounds.....should we read anything into the notion your mom was not sure? :-D

Ok, I could not resist...this is just ribbing and not serious..but since you were licking your wounds.....should we read anything into the notion your mom was not sure? :-D

Fair enough ;--))

Bummer, Adams.

Like losing the big one because of a poorly tied knot…

Do you think that if the deflector had been placed flipped over, in “down” position instead of “up” it still would have fallen off? Curious, as I usually use mine opposite of shown in your photo because it seems more stable. I really like the split on deflector idea! Thanks

Bummer, Adams.

Like losing the big one because of a poorly tied knot…

Do you think that if the deflector had been placed flipped over, in “down” position instead of “up” it still would have fallen off? Curious, as I usually use mine opposite of shown in your photo because it seems more stable. I really like the split on deflector idea! Thanks

I actually had it that way due to the warp. Been reading on Bronco site said it's common and to "stand" on it to correct and flatten the curve. Bottom line I farked up and will stand on it before next use. oK Joe's also makes a modified deflector, if standing on it doesn't work buy the new and improved

Even though I´d also toss it, something keeps me wondering if you shouldn´t have just finished in the oven. The temp was low and you don´t know for how long but taking it to +200F to finish it, should kill any bacteria, no?

Back