Overnight In The Drum- Beef Cheeks

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Oklahoma Joe Bronco, mezkeet lump and a hickory split. Cheeks removed from cryo and wiped down, hit with Worcestershire and massaged, then hit with mustard, black pepper, kosher salt and Lawry's. Into the cooker and lid shut. Gnome standing guard.

Last edited:
Before and after of the cheeks. Feel free to load the cooker and snuggle them up against each other,, they shrink to their own space. 7.5 hours in the Bronco using the deflector inverted to be higher. Brought inside at 0530 added water (couple snacks for quality control) wrapped tight and into 180* oven till noon or so. Bark is perfect with a light crust, meat is juicy tender and good beef flavor.

Last edited:
One of the best smoked cuts. Just made some cheeks for tacos on the PBC a few days ago.

PBC is an awesome cooker. I was one of the OG 225$ Free Shipping Kingsford Sponsor owners. Although no longer an owner I still refer people who ask me what type cooker to buy that's easy to run and makes fantastic food point them to the PBC. This site was good times and immersed in trolling controversy.

Last edited:
Looks excellent! So the Joe ran all night while you slept? If yes, what temp did you have it running at when you checked in for the night and where was it at when you returned? Just curious about long cook temp stability.

Just a lite beer. I've tried Guinness, Modela Negra a couple of beers I really enjoy. However my taste buds make cooked dark beer taste bitter. If I don't have a lite beer I use coffee or tea. I've used all these in combination with various oils, peanut-bacon grease-pork & Beef tallow. Honestly there's really no wrong way to do cheeks. Very forgiving

As well these would've been perfect served just off the drum

Looks excellent! So the Joe ran all night while you slept? If yes, what temp did you have it running at when you checked in for the night and where was it at when you returned? Just curious about long cook temp stability.

Yes sir all night long. I've done daytime cooks many times where a full level basket exceeds 10 hours cooking time. 7.5 is easy

I didn't use a remote thermometer however the Joe Thermometer said 250 when I placed the meat at 10pm and said slightly under 250. When I removed at 0530. I used my thermapen to check for probe tender , they all did, and read out on thermapen varied 184-191.

Stack exhaust wide open intake set at #2 which is about an inch.

10 Hours after placing cheeks and 1.5 hours after removal. I had opened the intake more to at 0530 and removal to allow coals to burn out while heat helps cleaning the grate.

Last edited:
Also I did zero trim prior to placement on grate. Cheeks can be kind of gnarly looking with the thick skin. I use that to my advantage and cook skin side down, if no skin I cook small end up. Later I shred like a Boston Butt discarding the skin. I've also simmered the skin and used the water in beans chili etc

Nice work on those cheeks, Adams - we've cooked them once before, but trimmed pre-cook. Next time, we'll try it your way, with a post cook trim.

Looks like you're enjoying the OKJ Bronco as well. Seems to be a solid cooker!

Send our best to the Gnome.

The one time I had cheeks, the trim far exceeded the useable meat. Thanks Sam's.

Is that a gnew gnome?

Well I don't trim them at all so I'm sure if I did I'd be shocked. I cook cheeks several times monthly then go a while. Bottom line- often. I've noticed beef Cheek is a Forrest Gump issue. Never know what's in those packages. This one was great. In fact most of the time I am quite pleased. I have had a couple of Duds, but seldom

Same Gnome just profiling instead of creepy stealy eyed stare

Well I don't trim them at all so I'm sure if I did I'd be shocked. I cook cheeks several times monthly then go a while. Bottom line- often. I've noticed beef Cheek is a Forrest Gump issue. Never know what's in those packages. This one was great. In fact most of the time I am quite pleased. I have had a couple of Duds, but seldom
Yep, totally agree. The very first time I cooked them I attempted to trim them, there's just too much small slivers of fat/gristle that you'll never get it. Now I don't trim either, after the cook I'll pull out anything remaining, but most of it turns a nice sticky/sweet & delicious.

Back