Salt & Pepper babyback's...

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I've made a ton of BB's with various rubs. Some home made as well as SM, Killer Hogs, Sucklebusters, and many more. Tomorrow I will try simply S&P ribs on my Stampede. Anything I should be aware of? 50/50 mix or some other ratio? Fresh cracked or already ground pepper is good enough? Go light or go heavy? Thanks

We love them this way. 50/50 is good, medium coating. Or, light course salt, medium coating 16 mesh black pepper.

50/50 by weight, as by volume is way too salty for us.
Doing this on two slabs tomorrow myself. We prefer the simplicity of the salt, pepper, and pecan smoke. I use sea salt, and the "Restaurant" ground black pepper from Sam's.
By weight only.

I like to season with salt and pepper separately instead of making a rub. First season liberally with course salt. I use course sea salt. Then with course black pepper. That way I get even and heavy coverage. It just works out that way. That was basically what I did with a rack of spares last weekend on my Stampede but also added some garlic and paprika.

The Stampede is a great rib cooker. Enjoy the cook and post plenty pics.

Thanks guys...any spritz or run em' dry? Sometimes I'll spritz with ACV..most times not. Sauce at the end?

I spritz with a vinegar/water mixture. type of vinegar varies, depending on what I have the most of. Right now, my spray bottle has rice wine vinegar. I also dissolve a bit of sugar in it every now and then. I am also known to spritz with 409 (long story- alcohol was involved, accidental. Not recommended.

S&P is hard to beat...

Don’t mix in the same bottle, coverage is never right...

50/50 by weight of kosher salt and course ground pepper is my favorite rub for ribs.

On spares and tips I like 1/3 kosher salt to 2/3 medium grind pepper. Baby backs are hardy enough to take 50/50. I tend to dust a little chili powder over the top on one side just for a little color and kick. I basically don't use any other pork rub these days.

Thanks guys..they came out good...not great. Just my palette. I think I like a little more sweet/savory and a touch of heat on my ribs. Don't know until you try...

Back