Favorite thing to cook on the BGE?

Smokin' Sandy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Friends... I purchased a Big Green Egg over the weekend. I have never cooked on one. For the BGE aficionados out there, what is your favorite thing to do on yours? What should my maiden voyage be? Is there something a little different that cooks especially well on a BGE? Thanks!

I really enjoy pork butts on my Egg. It's an all day (or night) cook and they turn out great.

Meat loaf is another favorite cook of mine. They rock on the Egg. :-D

It's rather difficult to mess up a pork butt. Ribs would be good if you have read the numerous threads here. Of course, the obligatory fatty regardless. Would stay away from brisket first time out.

Can't go wrong with a pork butt.

This weekend I smoked a pork belly for about 3 hours, and then all week I've been slicing it up and pan frying it in a large amount of bacon fat every morning. It's still so darn good. As far as unique... Pizza! So much fun, and every one I've made has turned out SO good

My favorite is ribs and whole chicken. In fact, I think ribs turn out best from a BGE. Super moist, well rendered, great color.

Congrats on your New BGE. One item I see a lot is spatchcock chicken. Chorizo Meatloaf is my favorite. But there is something to be said for a nice smoked chub of quality Beef Bologna!! And a few naked fatties is allows a hit.

Checkout The Naked Whiz web page. Also the BGE forum if you get a moment.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Just remember that you can cook virtually anything in the bge that you can cook in a conventional oven. Breads, pies, pizza, roasts, thanksgiving turkey, etc... Ask yourself if you want at least a slight smoke flavor in whatever you're planning to cook and if the answer is yes, then go for it. The beauty of it is that you can also get results that you just can't get in a conventional oven. If I had to choose one favorite thing (which in my opinion is like asking a parent to choose a favorite between their children), I would have to pick char siu chicken or possibly a philly cheesesteak. But that's just me. My wife would probably tell you that her favorite is stuffed green peppers or buttermilk biscuits.

Great suggestions here Do something low and slow to season it and break in the gasket- a fatty is always good. Build your fire right- large pieces of charcoal at the bottom to promote air flow I like to use lump in my Egg BTW Congrats You will love it There are lots of Egg threads here- Ross from Ventura, LMAJ, Ron_L, to name a few

Thanks for the responses. Now you have me thinking that I might have to do more than one thing! I should mention that it is a used BGE, so it is already well seasoned. I really like the idea of meatloaf or pizza, just because they are not things I would typically do on my reverse flow smoker.

You will need a good pizza stone but after your first pizza you will never get pizza out again. Meatloaf is another thing you will never do inside again, after your first one on your BGE. I love spatchcocked chicken, as well as all the standard pork products on my Kamado Joe Big Joe. I started doing a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving on my BJ and my wife would do a normal oven one, I have a big family. Last year everyone requested I smoke both turkeys on my BJ. You will find that everything you want to try will cook fine on a kamado grill.

What size did you purchase? That can make a difference. Use only good lump. Briquettes produce a lot more ash (and some brands use too much binder and I don't like the taste of their smoke), and the BGE is not the easiest to remove ash from. Do NOT start your fire with lighter fluid in a BGE (or ever really). It can fark up your BGE.

Also do you have a plate setter or some other heat deflector? That will make a big difference in how you cook as well.

Also do you have a plate setter or some other heat deflector? That will make a big difference in how you cook as well.

Agree.

This you will need if you want to enjoy the full capabilities of the Egg.

It is a large and it came with a place setter. I feel like I got a pretty good deal... $375 for the LBGE, nest, place setter, electric charcoal starter and cover.

Meat loaf.......but be warned: Once you've tasted it, there will be no going back to the oven. :-D

It is a large and it came with a place setter. I feel like I got a pretty good deal... $375 for the LBGE, nest, place setter, electric charcoal starter and cover.

Great deal on that Egg. You're gonna love cooking on it.

That's not a pretty good deal, that's highway robbery! I paid... Well, a LOT more - very good buy!

WOW That person almost gave it away Go to the Naked Whiz site You can learn a lot about ceramic cooking

To me you can't go wrong with steak on the BGE. My favorite thing to cook because you can get those temps up so high. Get it in the 600-700 range. Put your steaks on. 1 1/2 minutes flip, 1 1/2 minutes more and flip, then shut down both top and bottom. Let it stay in there for 4-5 minutes (depending on what doneness you like). Yank em off and rest for 5 minutes. Amazingly easy and tasty steaks.

For low and slow pork butts are nice, but nothing beats a good rib and it's a quicker cook. For a maiden voyage, an overnighter isn't a great idea...but it is ballsy (and you'll probably do great). To me, I'd want more instant gratification. Get the thing set in at about 225-250 with you place setter in. Then just do a standard 3-2-1 method with spares or a 2-2-1 with baby's You'll be very happy.

Back