Warning to anyone thinking about buying a pit on eBay!

A

acorette

Not that I've gotten burned by this, but I've seen at least two attempts in the past two months....

In July, I was watching auctions on eBay for nice rigs to help me cook and compete. I found the one I wanted, and ended up driving 500 miles to pick it up. I couldn't be happier with it. BUT, I was concerned since it was being sold by someone without any feedback, and I couldn't see it first hand before purchase. Anyway, long story short:

Since then, I've still kept my eyes open for rigs on eBay, and I've seen THE SAME PICTURES of MY smoker show up for sale :shock: Not possible since it's in my driveway. Someone else grabbed the pics from the auction, and listed a new auction with pics from the one I bought. I know the new auction is a phoney.... I contacted eBay and they took both of them down, but I can't police all of the auctions. There are likely other auctions out there that are copies just like these were. So, just a warning to anyone else out there that this stuff is going on.

A couple of ways to protect yourself if you do see something you want:
1) Ask the seller if they will accept cash or cashiers check upon delivery of the sale (no deposit. Plan to meet soon after auction end to show you are for real.) That way you aren't out any money if it's a fraud. You can help convince them to do it this way by telling them that it saves them their PayPal fees by paying in cash.

2) Go see the rig in person before the auction ends if you can. Not that this will guarantee you of a good transaction for the sale, but at least you know it exists. :idea: For me, I could tell by the pictures on eBay that the rig was outside, and had been for some time. I got the sellers address and looked up the address on GoogleEarth. I could see a picture of the rig sitting in the driveway, so I knew that he was for real, and that was the right address. This gave me some level of comfort.

3) If the seller ignores your requests for an in-person viewing, or won't give you any help via phonecalls or emails, it's probably not a good idea to bid.

4) Never, Ever Ever Ever pay Western Union for anything you buy online. Western Union and the like are only to be used to send money to people you know and trust. There's no way to get it back, ever. A friend got burned out of $900 for a pit like this.... :cry:

Hope this helps somebody. If you too see an auction that you suspect is fake, please report it to eBay so they can take action too. If you need me to help by showing you how to report it, I'd be glad to help with a PM to me.

Aaron

Good advice.

I see this all of the time with high end sportscards, often with pictures stolen from well known sports auction houses, and have probably reported and had removed thousands of auctions on ebay over the years.

Great words of wisdom.

Now, can you put that in the form of a press release that will apply to the entire nation on ALL items, and have it put on every national and local evening news channel and every newspaper as the lead story every day & night for a month straight? Then maybe people will get their heads out of their arses and I won't have to work as many of these cases. :mad:

I'm sorry that you were burned, Aaron. You've given good advice that may help others. Just a couple of things that I would add...

1. If anyone has zero feedback (or less than a feedback rating of 10 or so) I avoid them. I know that everyone has to start at zero but I'd rather let someone else take the first few risks :roll: If they have something that you really want, then get their phone number and talk to them. If they aren't willing to do that, forget it.

2. If the seller won't agree to let you see the item in person (especially if it is a big ticket item) forget it. If the item isn't near you, we have Brothers everywhere. I am sure that most, if not all, would be happy to look at a pit for another brother. Then you can be on the phone with that brother to make sure that your questions are answered.

3. You are right about paying in person. When I bought my pit on eBay the seller and I agreed before I bid that he would accept a downpayment via Paypal and the rest in cash once we met and I had inspected the pit. While a lot of people don't like Paypal for various reasons (mostly the fees), Paypal does provide buyer protection and will arbitrate disputes. I have not had to do this but I know people who have and it has worked well.

eBay can be a great place to find a bargain, but you have to be careful.

I once tried to buy a truck on ebay. Drove 5 hours to pick it up only to find out it wasn't titled in the sellers name. I backed out of that deal in a hurry. Wasted a days vacation on it as well.

1. If anyone has zero feedback (or less than a feedback rating of 10 or so) I avoid them. I

Also read the feedback and check out the feedback of the people who have left feedback.

There is a scam when someone opens several ebay accounts and then advertise small items and buy them with the other accounts and build up false feedback .

It's a crying shame that people want to steal like this from others. I have gotten burned on ebay only one time and I am so leary now of purchasing anything.

Sorry to here that you got burned.

I've conducted about 1,200 transacation through ebay, both buying and selling, ranging from $1 to about $1,000. Buying, I got burned once for $3.00. Selling, I've had about 3 or 4 issues with buyers not making payment, and although it usually isn't a big deal, in one case it cost me about $30 in special listing fees that weren't refunded by ebay. The reality is that over the years I have gotten such good deals on some things that I consider myself to be way ahead and these minor inconveniences are just a cost of doing business.

I agree with Tim. I have been able to purchase and sell many things on ebay. I am very careful. Usage of common sense is mandatory.

Common sense is mandatory but not always used. My brother bought something on ebay that was stollen. He was out the cash and item when he registered it.

I bought my pit on e-bay. The Seller listed their phone number and I talked to them a few time about the pit,title,spare tire, etc..got a good feeling. They also used paypal and had great feedback.I wouldnt spend more then I am willing tho throw away on a seller with no feedback! l.o.l

Once burnt-twice shy! I got ripped off on some stereo equipment, seller had excellent ratings, answered all my inquiries, got my Paypal, over 2 weeks to receive the stuff and it was not what I bid on! Strung me along after I returned it, then vanished- I was too trusting and green. No help from Paypal or E-bay, I just let it go and learned from it. E-bay just isn't for me, and I occasionally get scam mail for crap I supposedly bid on.

Brian

I have been burned twice on Ebay. I paid through Paypal and never received either shipment. After investigating, it was determined that I was right and the Sellers were at fault. Guess what - no assistance from either EBAY or Paypal.

Fortunately I pay my Paypal account through my credit card and they reimbursed my account. Remember this - do not allow Paypal to draft funds from your bank account. Always pay them with a credit card as it gives you an additional layer of protection.

Ask seller for other photos from different angles :mrgreen: If his camera got broken or it was his friends camera and he isn't able to take additional photos..chuck u farley!:lol:

Back