Anybody ever bring their own meat to a party?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It's a pool party and we're invited. With masks. But I already know what my cousin will do for food: frozen hamburger patties (in bulk) and some Bar S hot dogs.

He usually over cook the burgers because he doesn't know any better. The charbroiled taste is of the propane variety. So that leaves the hot dogs as the best thing on the menu.

How bad would it look if I show up with my own balls of ground beef? Do it Jon Favreau style and say, "May I?" before moving the cook out of the way?

Well, I'd take another protein. Something to 'compliment' their main dish, and then load up on your own instead of theirs. If I was going to a 'burger' and hot dog dinner, I'd take some variety of burnt ends.

Anytime, I am invited I always bring a variety of different things to throw on the pit including a bottle of wine for the Mrs. of the house.

Yes—If family I show up with something Solo Cups, Ice, Competing Menu meats etc. Definitely don’t eat anyone’s deviled eggs except my own. Hip flask of bourbon and unopened fifth hidden in truck in case family issues need discussed

Maybe—Friends: some small gift- perhaps two-three bags of my favorite chips, unopened with a gift clip. They are theirs now, leave them don’t be a @take home leftovers of what you brought@ person. A clean styrofoam (cheap) cooler with clean ice seems to be appreciated. Hip flask but no back up bottle. Skip The deviled eggs unless you know who made them

No—Business associate: ask if you can bring anything, if they say no, no. Skip deviled eggs entirely. If you want some go home and make them yourselves. No drinking. If social situation requires it, one perhaps two but nurse it and fake it. No more and make them weak

Last edited:
In similar situations my wife and I usually eat at a resturant on the way to the party. When you get to the party you can socialize and maybe eat some chips and dip with your drink. I doubt that the host is tracking who is eating his “hockey puck hamburgers“, but if you bring your own hamburger it may be seen as an insult.

At one of the “hockey puck hamburger“ parties I was at someone actually had a pizza delivered shortly after the hockey pucks were served. That didn’t go over too well with the host.

I second eating on the way. Unless you are bringing enough to share with everyone.

Everyone should just throw potlucks. Eat what you like, like what you eat.

At one of the “hockey puck hamburger“ parties I was at someone actually had a pizza delivered shortly after the hockey pucks were served. That didn’t go over too well with the host.

You were at that party too? If you would have asked I would have given you a slice!

Tell them yer fasting...

That’s what I do, I plan a fast around most other people’s cooking...

Yes—If family I show up with something Solo Cups, Ice, Competing Menu meats etc. Definitely don’t eat anyone’s deviled eggs except my own. Hip flask of bourbon and unopened fifth hidden in truck in case family issues need discussed

Maybe—Friends: some small gift- perhaps two-three bags of my favorite chips, unopened with a gift clip. They are theirs now, leave them don’t be a @take home leftovers of what you brought@ person. A clean styrofoam (cheap) cooler with clean ice seems to be appreciated. Hip flask but no back up bottle. Skip The deviled eggs unless you know who made them

No—Business associate: ask if you can bring anything, if they say no, no. Skip deviled eggs entirely. If you want some go home and make them yourselves. No drinking. If social situation requires it, one perhaps two but nurse it and fake it. No more and make them weak

So, deviled eggs it is? lol... I didn't make it beyond your post without remembering my mothers deviled eggs that rivaled almost all BBQ.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

When I was in my mid- twenties, we would have get togethers specifically to bring what you wanted to eat.

The host would send out the invite "I got the heat, bring your own meat" - he'd provide drinks and simple sides.

worked out well - if you were flush that week, you might bring a nice steak. If you were tapped, bring a couple of nice burgers.

But for "normal" get togethers now? I will ask- if they say nope- I do nope.

When I was in my mid- twenties, we would have get togethers specifically to bring what you wanted to eat.

The host would send out the invite "I got the heat, bring your own meat" - he'd provide drinks and simple sides.

worked out well - if you were flush that week, you might bring a nice steak. If you were tapped, bring a couple of nice burgers.

But for "normal" get togethers now? I will ask- if they say nope- I do nope.

We actually did this a couple of times in lieu of potlucks at our camping club. Worked out pretty well. We usually had a potluck the evening everyone arrived at the campground. We also had a big group breakfast the morning everyone departed.

My take on the situation. It’s family, it’s just one meal, pile on the condiments. With enough ketchup and mustard you won’t even taste the preformed factory burger. Much better to eat a mediocre meal and be a gracious guest, and supportive family member, than come across as an unappreciative dick.

You can always go with the ‘I pulled this out of the freezer and needs cooked before it goes bad!

My take on the situation. It’s family, it’s just one meal, pile on the condiments. With enough ketchup and mustard you won’t even taste the preformed factory burger. Much better to eat a mediocre meal and be a gracious guest, and supportive family member, than come across as an unappreciative dick.
Yes. It's hard not to sound like a dick and expect more with free food. When I do burgers it's full on condiment bar, buttered buns, and made to order.

Ever had a untoasted McDonald's hamburger with just the patty and ketchup? I can't get drunk enough for that !

Offer to cook so the host can spend more time with his guests. I get asked to do the grilling at some of our family gatherings and I'm glad to do it. I don't show up with additional proteins unless asked, and then it's for everyone.

Enjoy the invitation. It's only food and one meal. I'd take the others advice and grab something to eat before arriving if you're worried about his cooking otherwise just wash it down with a couple beers and enjoy the day!

Back