THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I made a brisket last weekend on my... 10 hour cook including wrapping it in kraft paper last 2 hours. Due to company coming over I could only rest it for an hour.
It sliced nicely but was way dry for my standards. I think my best cooks have been only smoking it for 4 or 5 hours for color then wrapping it in butcher paper for another 5 hours or longer and 2 or 3 hours of resting or a 12 to 13 hour cook then wrapping it to rest only.

Since I am not a early morning person waking up at 4 am won't work if my dad is coming over at 4 to 5 pm. I was thinking about doing an overnight cook for 12 hours, wrapping it well in kraft paper and resting in my oven (no heat on) oven for a very long rest.

I do not have an ice chest anymore because it broke, but my oven is very insulated and want to try a 5 hour rest. Would this be possible or am I risking it? I don't think I've held a brisket past 3 hours. Again, thinking wrapping it paper late in the cook isn't working for me but wrapping it to rest has been my better cooks. Thoughts?

I smoke a brisket like this and have had some really good results.

1. Smoke it at 225 til it hits the stall about 160/165
2. Wrap it double layer in butcher paper nice and tight and go to 275 through the stall
3. Wait til the flat, the thicker part near the point is about 195 or 200. The meat will feel like a large jiggly boob. A real boob not a fake one.
4. Take it out and let it sit for an hour
5. Wrap it in foil and let it sit for another 2 or 3 hours until internal temp is about 140. I dont put it in a cooler or anything.
6. Cut and serve.

Back