Firebox Liner Options?

tangierc

Found some matches.
Folks I need some ideas on what to line the inside of a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 firebox (that makes contact with the charcoal and wood) in order to prolong the life of the firebox. Ideally something that's relatively easy to get at a local store like Home Depot or Lowes, but I am open to any suggestions. It can't be firebricks because they're too thick.

I like what one person has done which is make a custom welded metal liner to fit inside the firebox.

I just want to know what kinds of options are out there.

Can you buy ceramic sheeting? Are there other methods that don't require welding? Is there a grade of silicon sheeting that can withstand the temps without melting?

I know noting about this, so I need your insight.

I'd probably call up Masterbuilt and see how much they want for a replacement/spare. Hopefully not too much. It's just sheet metal.

JWFOKKER this is what Masterbuilt said:

Thanks for contacting us. We’re received quite a few inquiries on this topic and wanted to provide as much information as possible on the metal plates and firebricks.

Metal Plates
The metal plates in the lower portion of the hopper hold the firebrick in place and protect it during shipping. These burn out and drop into the ash pan. They are not necessary for the grill to function and we’re not offering a replacement part, since they are meant to be temporary.

Firebrick
In the Gravity Series Hopper, your fire is contained to a 6” – 12” area that is reinforced with a food-safe soft ceramic firebrick to handle the higher temps in the lower portion of the hopper. The ingredients in the food-safe ceramic are FDA allowed for use in food or as an indirect additive used in food contact.

The firebrick takes the heat from the charcoal fire and is to be replaced only once a hole burns in it that is more than 0.5” deep and 5” in diameter. These firebricks will be a warrantied part and will also available for purchase post-warranty at a retail of $29.99 for the full set (4 firebricks with temporary metal plates). In our testing, we’ve seen firebricks last multiple years. You do get some initial firebrick degradation during burn-in and initial usage, but then degradation tends to stabilize.

I was hoping to find something that's thin, that I can cut relatively easy as well. It also has to be food safe. I don't want strange chemicals getting mixing with the smoke and food.

Are there things like think firebox sheets or would something like this even work? It withstands heat up to 2000 degrees, but I am concerned about that adhesive:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MItuP89KuB6QIVFq5kCh3sfQr0EAQYAyABEgIJHPD_BwE

FrkYrPrk is there such a thing as very thin firebrick material that I can line the metal walls with and use the fireplace mortar where they join? Firebricks are pretty thick and would take up too much space. I want something think like what is shown using metal in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkseA_rG28U&t=246s

I realize I'll run into one problem though where it may be better to weld metal together like in the video. One side of the firebox has an outlet at the bottom of the firebox for the heat and smoke so I'd have to have some what to support non-welded materials. This guy's implementation works because the other sides are welded to the outlet shape and provide support. I don't know of an food-safe adhesive that would let me do this with other materials that can withstand the temps.

Maybe I am overthinking this and should just buy this mod. I was just curious about and trying to find other solutions than having metal welded together that I could do like sheets of firebrick. I've even looked into graphite sheets but as good as they can take a beating from heat, they also transfer heat so that may not be ideal since it'd transfer that heat to the thin metal.

I wish there were such a thing as a thin refractive material like firebrick with adhesive that was food safe and would withstand the temps.

Chute liner like the video, I’d cover the firegrate with expanded metal - almost full size briquettes can fall thru.........

Last edited:
There may be some sort of tile that will withstand the heat and should certainly be thinner than firebrick.

I, too, am not crazy about the bar spacing of the burn grate. I'd be all for dropping a square of 3/4-9 in the bottom of the chute- but that'd be all I'd do to it.

I'd run it and just see how it goes. If they are offering the firebrick as a "consumable"- I'd probably be ok buying them when the firebrick finally degrades.

If you just can't stand it - buy the fellow's premade sleeve. It looks like he did a good job. I don't think you are going to come up with a better DIY solution.

I just looked it up and ceramic tile can handle 1200-2000 degree heat.

I'd get unglazed tiles, it's fired at a zillion degrees so will handle BBQ temps, and it's what? 3/8" thick.?
And not that hard to cut

FrkYrPrk is there such a thing as very thin firebrick material that I can line the metal walls with and use the fireplace mortar where they join? Firebricks are pretty thick and would take up too much space... I wish there were such a thing as a thin refractive material like firebrick with adhesive that was food safe and would withstand the temps.

Sorry, I've only used the 1/2 height bricks in my Bandera, they work for me.
Have you looked through McMaster Carr? They are good for hi tech mail order items... Good luck on your quest!

Back