Spicy Turkey Breast?

jhwhite

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually smoke my turkey breasts with SPG. I do like how they come out, but I would like to do something different.

I'm thinking about maybe mixing some cayenne pepper in with the SPG? Or putting some red pepper flakes in some oil and letting it sit overnight so the heat soaks into the oil, then rubbing the oil & flakes over the breast tomorrow then adding SPG.

What do you do to add some kick to your turkey breasts?

I like using Slap Ya Mama white pepper blend on turkey breast. It has a little more kick than the original seasoning but not overly hot.

I usually smoke my turkey breasts with SPG. I do like how they come out, but I would like to do something different.

I'm thinking about maybe mixing some cayenne pepper in with the SPG? Or putting some red pepper flakes in some oil and letting it sit overnight so the heat soaks into the oil, then rubbing the oil & flakes over the breast tomorrow then adding SPG.

What do you do to add some kick to your turkey breasts?

That will put some heat on the skin which some folks don't eat anyway...

Try adding some heat to a brine and let it soak into the muscle. Be sure to add more than you think you'll need if you want it spicy to the core.

Tony chacheres has a good spicy injectable marinade. I use it when frying,smoking and baking turkeys

That will put some heat on the skin which some folks don't eat anyway...

Try adding some heat to a brine and let it soak into the muscle. Be sure to add more than you think you'll need if you want it spicy to the core.

I take the skin off and smoke it.

turk2-copy-jpg.480911

A little Tony's (preferably Bold or at least the "More Spice"), and a lot of red Hatch chile and cayenne powder. I didn't have any dried jalapeno/green chile powder or that would've made its way in there.

Crushed up chile de arbols are good for adding a lot of heat without a lot of the paprika-y flavors that come with using so much chile powder. Obviously habanero/ghost etc will add even more heat, but it'll have those floral notes.

You can use vodka/Everclear if you need a capsaicin medium and don't want to add any more fat.

Friend in ABQ area introduced us to her favorite - Hatch chili’s mixed in with butter under the skin. Something similar to the 505 at Costco works well. That’s how we do them almost every time now.

You’re turkey looks delicious, almost makes me want some (I’m not a big fan of turkey).

I’ve used John Henry’s Apple Jerk Chicken rub on turkey in the past with good results. It’s not really spicy but has a decent kick.

I like to inject mine with creole butter and get flavor into the meat

I like to inject mine with creole butter and get flavor into the meat

This time when I probed the meat when I took the probe out juices squirted from the puncture. It was awesome. I didn’t inject though. Just wrapped with butter.

Last edited:
This time when I probed the meat when I took the probe out juices squirted from the puncture. It was awesome. I didn’t inject though. Just wrapped with butter.

Being open to wrapping opens up a whole new range of possibilities. Wrapping with peppers etc., and the fat/juices naturally released will help. Capsaicin being very insoluble in water, soluble in fat.

You might wanna try making your own hot compound butter, and wrap as you just did, OR do as many people do and place the butter under the skin.

[here's how the bird I posted before turned out-
doneturk2-copy-jpg.480962
kimg0526-copy-jpg.481097

]

Ypu dont eat the Skin?

who, me?? it is in fact my favorite part. i lucked out and got to eat almost all of that bird's because I accidentally:biggrin1: made it a little too spicy..

I like to make turkey pastrami..
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-big-honkin-smoked-turkey-pastrami-on.html

Also, to add flavor and moisture to turkey, chicken and game hens... I like to add sausage under the skin. I use sliced link sausage, bulk sausage, etc..
Sometimes I'll go with smoked sausage, spicy Italian, chorizo, sweet sausage..
It's fun to change it up. I place the slices or bulk sausage beneath the breast skin and in the thigh area.

As the bird smokes, the sausage fat renders into the meat, adding moisture and flavor.

Just something different.

We have injected with liquid crab boil and seasoned with Cajun seasoning that came out great. I do like to use low sodium seasoning when I can and then kick it up while eating of needed

Back