Mad Scientist's The Solution

I'm wondering what Jeremy is thinking about collectors. He's said he doesn't think they do anything and was going to do a test video on them. Then he puts one on his smoker.

I'm wondering what Jeremy is thinking about collectors. He's said he doesn't think they do anything and was going to do a test video on them. Then he puts one on his smoker.

maybe just perceived value?? marketing purposes... wouldnt be the first person that did something that maybe wasn't perfectly functional but was believed by many to make a difference. who knows, lotta companies use em.

that said, I think there is something to them making the air flow smoother with fewer sharp changes in direction. is it a tangible real world difference in performance or flavor?? likely not. Tho to my eyes it is more aesthetically pleasing to be honest.

I'm thinking they must make a difference by getting rid of a hot spot and bringing the smoke down to grate level. Don't understand Jeremy's questions with it. I suspect he'll explain at some point.

He did do a video on collectors a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-mnrtClZs&ab_channel=MadScientistBBQ

Overall he says maybe they help with evening out temps across the cook chamber, but it's a very minimal effect.

Collectors are pretty much standard on all direct flow custom offsets these days, so you may as well put one on your cooker if you want mass appeal.

Collectors are pretty much standard on all direct flow custom offsets these days, so you may as well put one on your cooker if you want mass appeal.

that's kinda what I was thinking. I've seen some cookers that just look 'off' without a collector

by all account Moberg smokers are great cookers, but they look weird since they dont have a collector. maybe it's just me

and yet the vast majority the pits on that page have no collector. It's a lot easier to fabricate without but yes it is no doubt a trend

from an 'even temp' point of view, to me it seems just having the stack outlet (whether with a collector or not) being at grate level would be the key piece of the puzzle. not so much the style of outlet but the level at which is exits the cook chamber. again, that's just my opinion, not based on experience just on a basic understanding of physics, i could be completely wrong on that.

I'm in the "doesn't matter much" camp. If you like offset cooking and have time for it (I can't imagine doing it before I retired), get anything you like as long as it's heavy, has the even-temp grate space you desire, and has a big enough firebox (with door and grates for grilling/searing if desired).

Beyond that, if you can't cook tasty food on it, it's the Indian not the arrow.

I'm of the opinion that the grate level collector spreads the volume of hot dry air leaving the cook chamber over the entire grate width rather than concentrating it in the middle. Lessoning the chance of drying something out.

from an 'even temp' point of view, to me it seems just having the stack outlet (whether with a collector or not) being at grate level would be the key piece of the puzzle. not so much the style of outlet but the level at which is exits the cook chamber. again, that's just my opinion, not based on experience just on a basic understanding of physics, i could be completely wrong on that.

I seem to recall this was more approach of Goldees. Of course that stack is massive!

https://mmbbqcompany.com/product/goldees-backyard-offset/

This thread is a good example why traffic on this forum has declined.

$2,500 seems like a pretty competitive price for a well-made no-frills patio smoker. It'll do work if smokerbuilder is involved. *resume purse swinging*

This forum has an issue with people who think what ever costs more is the best. A lot of people with too much disposable income or high limit credit card debt trying to swing their dicks at people.

I’ve cooked BBQ just fine on my Horizon without a collector just fine for a few years now. Would a smoker with a collector be better? Who knows. I’d like to cook on one to try it - but it’s not something I need though.

This forum has an issue with people who think what ever costs more is the best. A lot of people with too much disposable income or high limit credit card debt trying to swing their dicks at people.
Well first of all....

To a large extent, you DO get what you pay for. If you're wanting a smoker with 3/8" steel all around with good welds...and have that VERY heavy behemoth delivered between states.....it's gonna be $$$.

Again, to a certain extent....

And, of course, in every crowd, there's a few that think more $$ is better in every way...but from the folks I've met on here, I don't think I've come across anyone that is "snobby"....and most here, while not hesitant to save and spend enough to get true quality with a "buy once, cry once" mentality.....they also aren't opposed at all to getting a really GOOD DEAL when it can be found.

While not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination....I do have a decent bit of disposable income....a lot of that is from not having any kids that I know of....

So, I tend to buy as nice as I can get, but I don't do it flippantly....I research and research...ask questions (I'm sure I've annoyed some on this list with my LONG threads asking minutiae on different topics)....and SAVE money to buy something really nice with no buyers remorse ever.

Anyway...I guess everyone has different experiences and perceives things differently....

But I just wanted to offer an opinion of the help and fine people I've interacted with on this forum to date....

HTH,

cayenne

Back