Mad Scientist's The Solution

Sorry, Jeremy, but I know firsthand that a firebox can be an excellent grill.

The "solution scoop" looks legit.

I'm wondering what kind of fluid dynamics formulas were used to choose the stack height and diameter, firebox throat size, etc. or if it was just bubba-ed, or if that really matters much.

It uses a Workhorse Pits style firebox door without a lip. I like that a lot on my 1969 when it's time to remove the ashes.

Jeremy doesn't seem to bubba-ed anything.

To my knowledge Jeremy doesn't have any special training in fluid dynamics, metallurgy, welding, plasma cutting, fire science, culinary arts, nutrition, bending, coatings, or other disciplines that would un-bubba him as "Mad Scientist BBQ."

I've been following him since long before Covid, almost back to when he first started doing how to clean your gas grill with a wire brush stuff in a friend's backyard. From the earliest days, he hasn't be able to decide what kind of channel he wants to have, along with what kind of online persona he wants us to see: myth-buster, chef with recipes, equipment reviewer, pit master, name dropper, serious expert, straight man in comedy BBQ duos, sponsor rep (shill), YouTube celeb . . . and now pit designer.

It will be interesting to see where he finally lands, if he ever does.

Thanks for the heads up. Im glad i knew who was involved first so i DID NOT CLICK ON THOSE LINKS.

To my knowledge Jeremy doesn't have any special training in fluid dynamics, metallurgy, welding, plasma cutting, fire science, culinary arts, nutrition, bending, coatings, or other disciplines that would un-bubba him as "Mad Scientist BBQ."

I've been following him since long before Covid, almost back to when he first started doing how to clean your gas grill with a wire brush stuff in a friend's backyard. From the earliest days, he hasn't be able to decide what kind of channel he wants to have, along with what kind of online persona he wants us to see: myth-buster, chef with recipes, equipment reviewer, pit master, name dropper, serious expert, straight man in comedy BBQ duos, sponsor rep (shill), YouTube celeb . . . and now pit designer.

It will be interesting to see where he finally lands, if he ever does.

I guess if you get enough idiot followers, you can make any product and it will sell. I would love to see this clown weld something, let alone a smoker from scratch.

Don't care for Jeremy much even when he was in L.A. but his channel is on point. He's always been about bbq so I don't get all the hate on him for being jack of all trades? :noidea: I know he has a degree in biochemistry so he does have valid points even though some disagree. He didn't garner half a million subscribers in a short time because he was spewing nonsense. Just sayin'!!!!!

I'm not mad at him at all. He's just going with the flow as his channel evolves. Again, his main focus has always been BBQ so i don't get all the negative energy.

i don't get all the negative energy.

Some like you aren't put off by him; others like me are. It will be interesting to see where his journey takes him and whose impression is vindicated.

Some like you aren't put off by him; others like me are. It will be interesting to see where his journey takes him and whose impression is vindicated.
I am put off by him Too. You are not alone. He is a youtube click baiter. A lot of his youtube stuff is clickbait.

You will not be the one who is vindicated. Jeremy is a legit BBQ person who has run a successful BBQ catering operation, many successful BBQ pop-ups, as well run MANY successful BBQ classes. Mind you he's STILL currently operating BBQ classes which usually fill up months ahead of time. No matter how much you dislike him (for some odd reason) that doesn't make his opinion on BBQ any less valid or relevant.

Does Aaron Franklin possess a degree in metallurgy, bending, or any of that other nonsense you listed? What about Paul Shirley, Ben Lang, Chad Johnson, Jamie Gear, or any other master builder? Your appeal to some imaginary authority is beyond absurd. If a pit works, it works, and that's all that matters.

As it relates to Jeremy's pit it looks like it works just fine, and is a decent size for the price point. Once we see a full production unit out there we could probably make a better informed decision.

He is far from being my favorite "influencer" on YouTube. He has had some entertaining shows - and a few that I thought were a waste of time to watch.

But I don't hate on him.... that leather apron tho... can't stand it - and can't tell you why.

I’m not a huge fan but wow, some of you guys need to take a break. He’s a you tube influencer, there’s plenty out there, take it for what it’s worth or move on. If you took the time to click in the links you’d see that he isn’t welding anything, it’s actually the guy from smokebuilder.com who is incredibly respected in the industry. Also, considering the amount of pits that Jeremy has used & reviewed I’ll take his design thoughts into as much consideration as any other pit builder out there.

Every "content creator" channel on YouTube is a product, a commodity, just like a toothbrush, a leaf blower, or (more exactly) a TV series; and it's not just the channel; it's the presenter himself who is so, by choice.

People's fury when others criticize a favorite YouTube personality is something I seldom encounter when the critique is directed at a movie, vacation spot, video game, actor, restaurant, famous athlete, lawn mower, or clothing line.

Over 70 years ago Fahrenheit 451 predicted the creation of a false sense of intimacy generated by supposedly interactive TV designed in reality to create fierce consumer loyalties based on artificial personal connection.

Today YouTube is the closest thing we have to the fulfillment of Bradbury's dystopian vision.

So I would ask this question. Would some of you who find yourselves enraged by the critique of a monetized YouTube channel presenter (who by choice has made himself and his content just as much a commodity as a bar of soap) be similarly enraged by the critique of a fast food chain or house paint brand or amusement park?

If not, why not? It won't be true for everybody, but for some I would submit that it's because an irrational sense of the personal has crept in (by design) and that it would be wise not to get so worked up when it's just somebody hating on your DeWalt and loving on his Milwaukee.

Wait. Bad analogy. Milwaukee really is better than Dewalt, much better, and Dewalt owners are idiots.

I think he should reconsider a 2nd rack as maybe an option. Also larger inflatable tires on the fire box side and some sort of handle on the oposite side for moving it around on surfaces other than a patio.

Every "content creator" channel on YouTube is a product, a commodity, just like a toothbrush, a leaf blower, or (more exactly) a TV series; and it's not just the channel; it's the presenter himself who is so, by choice.

People's fury when others criticize a favorite YouTube personality is something I seldom encounter when the critique is directed at a movie, vacation spot, video game, actor, restaurant, famous athlete, lawn mower, or clothing line.

Over 70 years ago Fahrenheit 451 predicted the creation of a false sense of intimacy generated by supposedly interactive TV designed in reality to create fierce consumer loyalties based on artificial personal connection.

Today YouTube is the closest thing we have to the fulfillment of Bradbury's dystopian vision.

So I would ask this question. Would some of you who find yourselves enraged by the critique of a monetized YouTube channel presenter (who by choice has made himself and his content just as much a commodity as a bar of soap) be similarly enraged by the critique of a fast food chain or house paint brand or amusement park?

If not, why not? It won't be true for everybody, but for some I would submit that it's because an irrational sense of the personal has crept in (by design) and that it would be wise not to get so worked up when it's just somebody hating on your DeWalt and loving on his Milwaukee.

Wait. Bad analogy. Milwaukee really is better than Dewalt, much better, and Dewalt owners are idiots.

What a load of garbage you've spewed just so you can justify your irrational disdain for a guy on YouTube.

If you took the time to click in the links you’d see that he isn’t welding anything, it’s actually the guy from smokebuilder.com who is incredibly respected in the industry.

Yep.

Frank Cox of Smokerbuilder.com is the actual fabricator and pit builder behind this product. I’m pretty confident that he wouldn’t attach himself to a project that didn’t measure up to his standards. Don’t know how much actual design input Yoder had…or if he’s relying completely on Frank’s experience and expertise.

I too am a little confused by the hate Yoder gets. I’m not saying he’s my favorite YT guy, but he does focus on BBQ, and on BBQ pits - subjects I enjoy watching and talking about.

Red

Back