Need Help Identifying a 10 ½” Cast Iron Skillet

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was going thought stuff in the attic and came across a box I used to use while camping. It had this 10 ½” skillet in it that I had forgotten I had. It looks older and has a nice smooth finish on the cooking side. Here are some pic of it.

There is no name on it but does have some identifying marks on it of an “8” and an “N”. Anyone know what these mean and who made this?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that would a Pre-1960's Unmarked Wagner. It has the usual Wagner lettering and it's Pre-1960's as it does not say "Made in USA". Nice pan.

For starters, it may be pre-1960 because after that CI pans had the country of origin stamped on them.

In the 50's the size in inches stamping became more common.

There is a good chance it's from the USA because of the quality of the lettering and the fact the 'N' is likely a pattern number.

Also, the spouts look like ones from older (and better) molds.

Lastly the reverse bevel on the back side of the handle looks smooth, and the skillet has a nice finish....also traits of US molds.

Check the diameter of the inside bottom, not outside-to-outside, a Wagner #8 is 8-7/8″ and US foundries sort of adopted this mearurement.

I would agree with RemoGaggi, here is a post 1960 Wagner, but the lettering sure looks typical for them.

8gQkkYg.jpg

Dug out a couple of skillets- Wagner and Griswold. There was a period where they were the same company. They also produced unbranded skillets for large and small retailers, hardware stores I believe large corporations etc. look at the size line on the Griswold. Look at the lettering and numbers on the Wagner. The Wagner was a wedding gift to my parents in 1954. Griswold was a treasure hunt of mine. I have seen non branded on EBay with only a tear away sticker. Hope this helps. Whether you guess W or G you may be right. Bottom two photos are Wagner

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, it's a 1950s unmarked Wagner.

Wagner Manufacturing Co. - Sidney, OH
Unmarked Smooth Bottom Skillets
  • Size number incised on top of handle
  • Some earliest examples unmarked except for size number on handle; are IDed by other Wagner characteristics
  • Descriptive size at 6 o'clock, e.g. "6½ INCH SKILLET" (absent on early examples)
  • "Made In USA" added after 1960, below description
  • After the acquisition of Griswold in 1959, pieces typically referred to as "unmarked Wagner" made in Sidney, Ohio were also sold under the "Griswold Early American" label
  • Lids have raised scallop-toothed concentric rings for basting drippers
  • Divided cornbread skillets have typical late-style Wagner handle

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

I believe that would a Pre-1960's Unmarked Wagner. It has the usual Wagner lettering and it's Pre-1960's as it does not say "Made in USA". Nice pan.
Thank you Remo. Pre 1960 is probably accurate as this would've been my parents skillet that made it's way into the camping box.
For starters, it may be pre-1960 because after that CI pans had the country of origin stamped on them.

In the 50's the size in inches stamping became more common.

There is a good chance it's from the USA because of the quality of the lettering and the fact the 'N' is likely a pattern number.

Also, the spouts look like ones from older (and better) molds.

Lastly the reverse bevel on the back side of the handle looks smooth, and the skillet has a nice finish....also traits of US molds.

Check the diameter of the inside bottom, not outside-to-outside, a Wagner #8 is 8-7/8″ and US foundries sort of adopted this mearurement.
Thank you Wayne. I just measured the inside but not sure where I'm supposed to measure. The flat area (before it starts to curve up the sides) is approximately 8 3/8". From side to side it is approximately 8 7/8" altought it may be just shy of that.
I would agree with RemoGaggi, here is a post 1960 Wagner, but the lettering sure looks typical for them.
Yes I agree that it looks similar to that.
8gQkkYg.jpg

Dug out a couple of skillets- Wagner and Griswold. There was a period where they were the same company. They also produced unbranded skillets for large and small retailers, hardware stores I believe large corporations etc. look at the size line on the Griswold. Look at the lettering and numbers on the Wagner. The Wagner was a wedding gift to my parents in 1954. Griswold was a treasure hunt of mine. I have seen non branded on EBay with only a tear away sticker. Hope this helps. Whether you guess W or G you may be right. Bottom two photos are Wagner
Thank you Adams. yes your right. The numbers and lettering sure look similar.
As far as I can tell, it's a 1950s unmarked Wagner.

Wagner Manufacturing Co. - Sidney, OH
Unmarked Smooth Bottom Skillets
  • Size number incised on top of handle
  • Some earliest examples unmarked except for size number on handle; are IDed by other Wagner characteristics
  • Descriptive size at 6 o'clock, e.g. "6½ INCH SKILLET" (absent on early examples)
  • "Made In USA" added after 1960, below description
  • After the acquisition of Griswold in 1959, pieces typically referred to as "unmarked Wagner" made in Sidney, Ohio were also sold under the "Griswold Early American" label
  • Lids have raised scallop-toothed concentric rings for basting drippers
  • Divided cornbread skillets have typical late-style Wagner handle

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php
Thank you Curt. That is very helpful.
This is accurate
Thank you Jrogers

Cast iron is a blast. The history, the cooking abilities. If you have an inherited user it’s even more special. Finding a random piece and bringing it back to life is cool, whether you know the history or not. That’s a neat skillet. Really should have a pineapple upside down cake going

Thank you Wayne. I just measured the inside but not sure where I'm supposed to measure. The flat area (before it starts to curve up the sides) is approximately 8 3/8". From side to side it is approximately 8 7/8" altought it may be just shy of that.

The measurement is the bottom diameter before the sides slope outward. You can eyeball it from the outside bottom if you don't include the rounded edges. The handle number corresponded to the burners on wood stove. A list of bottom diameters and corresponding handle #'s appeared in early catalogs because wood burning stoves might not all have standard eyes (the holes with a cover piece). Some people wanted to remove the cover piece and cook with direct heat and you wanted a skillet larger than the eye. By the late 40's the bottom diameters were not as important so the molds might vary slightly.

Measure it for background radiation to determine if it was pre WWII. All cast ironade after the first atmospheric nuclear test will always show trace radiation ��

Joking, but I did see this suggested by someone on another fourm

I located some more info from a collector site: One poster had a skillet and the bottom was marked 10 1/2 INCH SKILLET MADE IN THE USA, and centered below that a “M”. There is also a “M” on the back of the handle. It was the consensus that it was an unmarked Wagner, post 1960. Another poster had a #6 with an "N" mark like yours, and because the the distinctive triangle shape where the handle joins the skillet (it's shiny in this photo) it too was considered to be a Wagner. Yours has the same triangle.

JiFn8ma.jpg

I located some more info from a collector site: One poster had a skillet and the bottom was marked 10 1/2 INCH SKILLET MADE IN THE USA, and centered below that a “M”. There is also a “M” on the back of the handle. It was the consensus that it was an unmarked Wagner, post 1960. Another poster had a #6 with an "N" mark like yours, and because the the distinctive triangle shape where the handle joins the skillet (it's shiny in this photo) it too was considered to be a Wagner. Yours has the same triangle.

JiFn8ma.jpg

Thanks Wayne. That's it except a #8.

Back