never buying meat from a box store again

redneck allstar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Let me first say that i have heard the warnings of not buying meat from wal-mart and other box stores but Im a try myself type of guy. I normally buy all my meat from our local meat shop but last year I saw some ribs on sale (1.29/lb) at our local walmart and i snatched up a few slabs (actually as many as I could find). I used them for several cook outs and I thought they were actually pretty good. They were a hit with the family and friends. Unfortunatly I cannot remember the brand.

This year over memorial day weekend I was walking through Target and I saw they had ribs on sale so I picked up three slabs (I also cannot remember the brand). let me just cut to the chase. They were horrible. The worst ribs I have ever made BY FAR!!!! I would actually say they were uneatable. They were soooo hammy tasting and after 6 hours (3-2-1) in the smoke at 250 there was no fall off the bone. After the cookout there were at least 2 slabs left and let me just say that just aint right. Ive never had ribs left after a cook. I would say that it compleatly ruined the cookout but I had some killer pulled pork and a pan full of abt's.:becky:

Did anyone else get the ribs from target over memorial day? Did you have the same results? Im trying to remember what brand they were. I think they were hormel. Any advice or comments would surely be welcome.

I think that sale was poted about here......and several folks mentioned they had a lot of solution added and were "hammy" tasting. Some said they wouldn't buy those at any price. We all should pay attention to this when buying.......and pay special attention when things are unexpectedly cheap. At least you know what to avoid now and can probably prevent this in the future.

Ya got read the label, if under ingredients it has anything but Pork listed put it down and look else where! same holds true for Poultry. Never by anything with a Tyson label they "ENHANCE" all their meat.

Yeah, been there done that. I to had several bad experiences with both Target and Wal-Mart meat. I just bite the bullet and go down to a local butcher shop and get the real deal. It cost me a bit more but the big grocery chains can't match the qaulity.

Most likely Hormel brand. Target here in Rochester had a similar sale at Memorial Day.

I learned a valuable lesson. I definitely will be buying all my meat from now on here in town. The butchers know me by name and usually invite me back as they prepare my cuts. You wont get that at wal-mart or target.

Somewhere along the line service has been lost and its all about low prices and quantity.

Moral of the Story​

Do not buy your meat in the same store you buy your underwear.

Pretty much agree...except I've found large packs of underwear at Costco before...and I think their meat is decent.

But I knew what you meant...

Chances are at Target you got smithfield or hormel enhanced ribs. You do NOT want these.

I've got to agree with the enhanced pork products...however, the last 2 briskets I did were bought from wally world and both were considered "home runs" by my guests.

Yep...they were "enhanced". I have no problem buying meat at Sam's. Always good quality...just stay away from "enhanced" products.
A large chain in Kansas sells the Kroger brand "Moist and Tender" pork products...Butts, ribs, loins...all enhanced with up to 18% solution...It is nasty chit...tastes just like you said... Ham!

I don't believe that it's common practice to enhnace beef with the 12-14% sodium solution which is common with pork products. If there are any nitrites added to that enhancing solution you're guaranteed a lovely ham flavor and consistency.

It's not the stores fault you didn't read the label and didn't know what you were buying.

I've bought great meat from lots of box stores and I've also purchased crappy meat from good butchers.

As the consumer you have the responsibility to know that "enhanced" ribs are going to give you the hammy flavor when smoked. Most people buying ribs at those stores are using the oven, boiling first or crock potting. Thus the hammy issues isn't an issue...

My local gordon food service has started carrying fresh unenhanced ribs and other meats.You might try looking there. I've also found them at Save-A-Lot.

@redneck allstar:

Were they loinbacks or spares? What was the country of origin?

IIRC, they were Hormel "Always Tender" which is always a tipoff that they are enhanced.

I will continue to enjoy my spares in 8% solution.

Some of the worst ribs I cooked have been fresh from the butcher of a pork producer, several different times.

The absolute worst ribs I have ever cooked, were Danish Ribs. Not edible. For the record, I should point out I am still not sure what Danish ribs are, except that they are terrible.

Just like buying a pesticide. Read and understand the label.

Back