Gas ignition on a charcoal grill

Zathras

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I owned a Weber Performer for 8 years- gave it to my son last summer when we moved. I loved the gas-ignition feature. I’ve also searched the web and this forum and have seen plenty of commentary indicating people who have used the Performer generally really like that feature.

So why the heck aren’t there other brands or models that offer gas ignition on a charcoal grill? I can only find one other grill (offered by Sam’s Club, now discontinued) and nothing else.

I have a place on the patio I’m having a cook station built with room for a 32” grill, and I’d love to have it be charcoal with gas ignition. I suppose I could buy another Performer and install it in the counter, but I’d rather have a larger, traditional style built in than a kettle.

Does anyone know of anything else out there on the market? Has anyone added a gas ignition to a built-in style charcoal grill?

Thanks

That's an interesting question, one I've not seen before.

I had a Performer for a couple of years, and after using the propane ignition a few times, just found it easier and quicker to just use a chimney starter so I never used it again. It would be interesting to hear from other Performer owners about the subject, as I've never heard it brought up here before, at least that I am aware of.

That said, I'm guessing the answer to your question lies in the realm of cost efficiency from a manufacturing standpoint. I would imagine other manufacturers have done a fair bit of research on the subject and probably concluded the cost outweighed the benefits in terms of being able to make that feature profitable. It's quite probable that the built in gas fueled ignition feature didn't bring enough consumer demand, so other manufacturers never adopted it.

Nonetheless, installing a gas fueled ignition would be doable with some creative McGyvering in a custom grill with the following parts:

1. High quality, heavy duty igniter
2. Some kind of burner assembly to bring the flame to the coals
3. A propane regulator

Just my initial thoughts...

You could also just buy all the burner and ignitor parts from Weber, and install them in the larger grill that you'd prefer, too.

I 100% agree. I have 2 x Performers, and the reason I have them is simple....1. A work table, and 2. Gas assist.

I always put my charcoal in a chimney and put the chimney over the burner. I love them and they were the reason I ditched gas grills over 10 years ago. I'll never own another charcoal grill besides a Performer. I wish they made a 26" Performer, then I'd be in heaven!!!

Moose, how long did it take using the gas vs a chimney? What you are saying sounds odd. I have never had the performer so I am not sure.

Moose, how long did it take using the gas vs a chimney? What you are saying sounds odd. I have never had the performer so I am not sure.

It's been almost ten years since I owned the Performer, but I would say the chimney starter took about 20% less time due to the shape and construction of the starter which helps pull air up through the coals.

I 100% agree. I have 2 x Performers, and the reason I have them is simple....1. A work table, and 2. Gas assist.

I always put my charcoal in a chimney and put the chimney over the burner. I love them and they were the reason I ditched gas grills over 10 years ago. I'll never own another charcoal grill besides a Performer. I wish they made a 26" Performer, then I'd be in heaven!!!

Question on using a chimney in the Performer w/ gas assist - do you use newspaper in the chimney, or not?

Question on using a chimney in the Performer w/ gas assist - do you use newspaper in the chimney, or not?

No paper.
Chimney sitting on bottom grate right above propane burner.
Chimney full of hot coals in minutes.
Been doing it that way for 15 years

The gourmet grate from Weber made it even easier, as the chimney sits right down in the center hole in the grate

No paper.
Chimney full of hot coals in minutes

I found that impossible with my 2010 Performer. The flame never reached high enough to ignite the coals in the chimney.

I found that impossible with my 2010 Performer. The flame never reached high enough to ignite the coals in the chimney.

Mine
99ae5c2bfb3f8737f702111885ba5d5c.jpg

b1fa93a565ed3eec91b06d948948777a.jpg

Get a Kalamazo. That has gas underneath with a level to hold wood or charcoal. Only $15k starting price, so maybe get 2 if you have the space ��

That said, I'm guessing the answer to your question lies in the realm of cost efficiency from a manufacturing standpoint. I would imagine other manufacturers have done a fair bit of research on the subject and probably concluded the cost outweighed the benefits in terms of being able to make that feature profitable. It's quite probable that the built in gas fueled ignition feature didn't bring enough consumer demand, so other manufacturers never adopted it.

Nonetheless, installing a gas fueled ignition would be doable with some creative McGyvering in a custom grill with the following parts:

1. High quality, heavy duty igniter
2. Some kind of burner assembly to bring the flame to the coals
3. A propane regulator

Just my initial thoughts...

You could also just buy all the burner and ignitor parts from Weber, and install them in the larger grill that you'd prefer, too.

Yeah I might just have to DIY it. Just find it odd that something that seems so popular among those that have it, isn't at least offered on other models. Just bump up the price for the option. The performer comes in a no-gas version for 40 bucks less.

No paper.
Chimney full of hot coals in minutes.
Been doing it that way for 15 years

The gourmet grate from Weber made it even easier, as the chimney sits right down in the center hole in the grate

Exactly. I used a chimney all the time on mine. Sit it right over the flame and fire it right up. I didn't have any special grate, but it worked fine.

I own several Performers. At first I always used the gas w/ a chimney. Then I discovered Weber starter cubes. I like them better because there is no gas to shut off after the chimney is lit. If my food prep (or beer consumption
/distraction) takes too long, no gas is wasted. IOW, the cubes are a set it and forget it item.

Back